Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Submerged Cat Marine 12 Cylinder

Default Demo Job

Hey OilSlick,

They owner wants it demo'ed. He wants it gone. I was asked if an excavator good reach it and demo in place. I think I can pull it out and get it up on the dock. Even if I drag it to the side of pier it would make the removal much easier. They have a 40 ton P&H rough terrain crane there. They have some steel beams available. There are two Pipe Piles about 16" in diameter some 16' apart on edge of dock that are 2' above the dock with huge cletes on them to tie cargo ships to. In between the pipe piles are a solid sheet pile wall. Along the top of the wall is a 24" tall beam used as a pile cap. This beam is tie'd back with anchors and poured in a very thick industrial slab. I intend to place a steel beam on top of the concrete slab and up against the cletes and pipe piles. We can then back Mary Ann's tracks up against this beam as a stop. We will take two 30' long beams and cut a notch so the beams lay into water and lock up against the beam on top of concrete pier. We will then weld these two beams in place as long ramps to the rock lined channel. Two hard hat divers will sling cables under ship and attach to the output shaft of the prop. I hear it's very large prop that weighs some 4 tons alone. The plane is to drag it closer to the dock. If we get lucky, it may climb the beams. The energy on the beams and Mary Ann's tracks all coming together locked on the piles. If we are lucky enough to climb the ramped beams, I'll pull Mary Ann ahead 30 more feet. We will then place two more 30' beams locked against the back stop built. I'll back the tracks up against these extensions of the back stop and pull again locking the tracks off. If the old Tug is just dragged to the edge of pier it will make demo operations easier and be a huge help. If Mary Ann can get The Tug out of the Water, She will be in her Work Clothes feeling Proud. Owner is playing with my thought process and deciding on the $ and risks involved. I'll keep you posted. I have no Risk on the Tug or Operations, just the care and upkeep of Mary Ann only.
    Glen
    Last edited by 7upuller; 11-29-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Under who's jurisdiction does this port/marine facility fall? State or private?

Default City WaterWay

Hey OldMagnet,

I hear the City of Richmond, Ca is owner of the Water Way according to their Lawyer. The dock and tug belong to the owner of the pier.

In 70's a rental contractor Winton Kemmis in Los Angels area had a WW II wood mine sweeper in Long Beach Harbor that he repowered with two 3406's his shop rebuilt from a sunken tow boat on Mississippi river. Can't recall how long they had been under water. As the total boat was being refurbished he enjoyed taking people to show the engine installation. Liked to start them and engage props, at idle boat wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 7upuller View Post
    Hey OldMagnet,

I hear the City of Richmond, Ca is owner of the Water Way according to their Lawyer. The dock and tug belong to the owner of the pier.
    Have you checked with them on salvage operations, issues of fuel, liability etc.?

Dang, It sounds like fun Glen. Sounds like you got a good plan. Does the City of Richmond have to approve it. I'm sure you have been in business long enough in the State of Sue to have your butt covered. What a cool job for Mary Ann. Once the boat is started on the ramps one could multi part the winch line and move the boat slowly while draining and increasing the available line pull also.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Yup, a D8 should easily pull that vessel up a slip, as long as you let the water out, use pulley blocks in the winch line to move it slowly and increase available effort. Forget using that 40ton crane with the reach you will need, or it will end up in the water too. So he engine has been under water three times in a month, it is now scrap, I have been involved in salvaging so many engines which have been under water over the years and seldom been successful.

Default Crane

Hey Catsilver,

Crane will be used to just set the beams in place as needed. Engine has been at the bottom and under water for a month. Yes, I don't think there will be any value besides scrap.
    Glen

Default KoO

How long was one of the kings D6,s underwater for

hope you get some photos if it does come off

Default Under water?

Hi, Glen.
    That D9G that I mentioned in my earlier post was under sea water TWICE a day and then exposed TWICE a day for 3 months with the 30-foot tides in that neck of the woods - and they salvaged the original engine. If you are interested and can get the engine, I think it would at least be worth checking out. It doesn't take much to remove a couple of heads and even less to check if the engine will still turn with the decompressor open or the injectors out, whichever is applicable.

Try to have enough fun for me too, please?

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.