Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self propelled Holt combine

Default Self propelled Holt combine

So I got started hauling wheat to town today, actually I got the bins set up yesterday so I could roll this morning. At any rate, I got a phone call last night from David Ruark. He is one of the folks in charge of the Eastern Washington Agriculture Museum (EWAM). David asked, "you want to go look at a self propelled Holt?"

For those who aren't combine aficionados, Holt built one of the first self propelled combines back in the mid teens. They had a track on one side and a wheel on the other. In some cases, the wheel drove as well, but this one seems to just drive with the track.

Well of course I wanted to see it so I took a load down this morning and David and his wife picked me up at the terminal. We picked up Dick Lloyd on the way and went to where the combine was. We were met by the owner who was wanting to donate it to EWAM. Once at the combine site, I was surprised at how much was there, a fire or two had came through over the years so the wood was mostly gone, but the metal was very much there. The engine was gone as was the wheel on the left side but the driving track and transmission were still there, as were the cylinder and the leveling mechanism.

I'm sure most of you are sick of me posting about combines, but at least this one is a Holt, so it's on topic.

Here are a few pictures, I know it's hard to make some of the details out, but I'll add captions after I put the pictures up.

Bruce P

Picture one-leveling mechanism, two-overall view, three-front wheel, four- steering shaft sticks up, five-gearshift quadrant, six-sprocket end of the track, seven- pads.

IMG_0503.jpgIMG_0498.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0497.jpgIMG_0490.jpgIMG_0492.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce P; 10-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    Two Ton, Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol , 4G D4, 9U D6, 44A D6B, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7

Bruce, I never tire of the old pull type combines. They provided a large part of the chores that the tracked tractors did. Caterpillar (Best/Holt) tractors were originally designed for farming enterprises so the combines are very much a part of that history

Hey Bruce, That's going to be a big project. I believe that Holt built a small self-propelled sheet metal machine in the early teens as well, now whether is was prototype or production model I don't know. I have often wondered, if one were to take on the total reconstruction of one of these machines what would one do for lumber. The fine grained, dry seasoned lumber of yesteryear is long gone, if it were to be made of today's lumber it would shrink,twist and split and you would have nothing but a mess, one might have some kiln dried and then resawn (is that a real word) but what about the grain. I don't even know what variety was used originally and lord knows you couldn't paint it with lead based paint you would have nothing but a rolling toxic waste dump (heaven forbid) but you could always put the EPA guy right near the back of the machine to keep an eye on things Tad

Default Tulip Poplar is what you use

Eastern tulip poplar is close grained, stays straight and lasts a long time without any paint. You eastern guys chime in here. Am I right?
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Poplar is good. White oak would be good as well.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I believe Jim Heater rebuilt one of these one stick at a time, would e a heck of a challenge. The museum will probably just get it for a display, I don't think they will attempt to rebuild it.

The wood in the combine I just cleaned up was incredible, NO knots, all vertical grain. It really must have been a sight to see when new. There was red paint on the outside a pretty blue on the inside.

By the way, the kids say the paint on the wood we saved from that old combine tastes great.

We probably won't go after this till spring, but I'll get lots more pictures once it's out of the grass.

BP.
    Two Ton, Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol , 4G D4, 9U D6, 44A D6B, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7

Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    Poplar is good. White oak would be good as well.
    Poplar, Also called Popple or Aspen is real good as long as it is seasoned before it is sawn. Otherwise it twists badly while drying.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper

I should add, the beams in the combine we cleaned up sure smelled like pine of fir when we cut them. I've been told they used the very best wood in the combines. Being west coast manufacturered I would imagine some sort of evergreen was used, but I stand to be corrected.

Also, Lorri Dunning had told me there are only 9 of these known. I'm not sure there is enough left of this one to qualify as #10

BP

Default Amazing!

You just never know what is out there in the weeds.

That is an amazing find and something really grand to have at the museum. It is very good that it will be preserved and not allowed to rust away or get drug away by scrappers. This is really a piece of history. I'm looking forward to the recovery and really seeing what is there.

Pete.

Laminated Marine Plywood - once painted no one would know. Bob