Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D6C Transmission leak?

Default D6C Transmission leak?

While working with D6C noticed oil on the ground, stopped the machine.
    Located oil pooling in the bottom of the belly pan, checked the engine oil, all good.
    As a precaution started moving the machine back to my shop and started having trouble steering etc.
    Shutdown and checked transmission dipstick, very low if any oil.
    Any ideas on the cause of the leak?
    Thanks

what part of the tranny is leaking? i suppose it is a powershift?

It is a power shift, 1975 year model.
    I really have no idea where itís leaking, Iím looking for suggestions on the most likely problem areas.
    Thanks for any information.
    Machine has a recently professionally rebuilt transmission and pump. Itís ran perfect for 6 months.

If you top it up and run it you should be able to look down through the floor plate inspection cover and up through the small drain hatches underneath, but before crawling under, check around the starter mount.

hose leaking

Confused Hoses...

Most likely a hose failure. Your re-builder might have left the old hoses in place in a effort to save money
    You will have to remove the floor plates and the rear belly-pan to replace the hoses. If one hose has failed another failure won't be far behind this one. If my memory is correct the transmission/bevel gear/steering clutches (all the same compartment) holds 23Ĺ gallons of transmission and drive-train oil. The job of removing the belly-pan and floor plates plus the cost of the oil is incentive enough for replacing all of the hoses while you are already there.
    Craig

Default Hose located

Quote Originally Posted by seiscat View Post
    Most likely a hose failure. Your re-builder might have left the old hoses in place in a effort to save money
    You will have to remove the floor plates and the rear belly-pan to replace the hoses. If one hose has failed another failure won't be far behind this one. If my memory is correct the transmission/bevel gear/steering clutches (all the same compartment) holds 23Ĺ gallons of transmission and drive-train oil. The job of removing the belly-pan and floor plates plus the cost of the oil is incentive enough for replacing all of the hoses while you are already there.
    Craig
    Thanks to all, it appears to be a hose connected to the bottom of the oil cooler? Would that make sense? If so does anybody have a part number? Does the bottom pan have to be removed?
    Thanks
    Kenny

Oil cooler hose? it's possible, if I remember correctly, these are solid pipes with short sections of hose held on with hose clamps, it may be possible to remove the pipe at the cooler end to get enough room to get the hose off without removing the belly guard. I'm not very big, and in this situation would run the R H track up on to a block and drop one side of the guard only. You really do need a parts book to identify the correct item.

Cool Time to learn...

You can find parts books and service manuals on ebay and other sources. What you don't know can and will be expensive. Please take the time to educate yourself, the school of hard knocks makes the tuition for a degree look cheap!
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by seiscat View Post
    You can find parts books and sen46A21D3E-ECE6-4F62-9B0D-C02802C154D7.jpg46A21D3E-ECE6-4F62-9B0D-C02802C154D7.jpg46A21D3E-ECE6-4F62-9B0D-C02802C154D7.jpgrvice manuals on ebay and other sources. What you don't know can and will be expensive. Please take the time to educate yourself, the school of hard knocks makes the tuition for a degree look cheap!
    Craig
    It appears to be part of the Torque Converter Cooler Lines Group, part 3P2701, this tube connects to the oil cooler and transmission relief valve, my question is will the bottom pan have to be removed?
    If the bottom pan has to be removed can anyone provide proper guidance on how to remove safely? My Dozer is 47J-4744
    Thanks
    Kenny
    Last edited by Kwright; 10-19-2017 at 09:53 PM.