Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1965 d4c

Default 1965 d4c

This cat was changed over to "salt" tracks some years ago, now pins worn really bad, how bad can they be and still be turned to get a little more life out of the tracks? rails are OK, Sprockets need to be replaced as well. Thank you for information, Tom

In general turning pins and bushings on small machines with SALT is not worth the expense. By the time you fix all the dry joints and replace seals and lube it's not worth the effort. If wear was slight and there are no dry joints it might be ok and there is the option of grease lube instead of the original oiled joints. May be a challenge to find a track shop that will do the option.

Default Thank you OM,

So be better off replacing rails when changing the sprockets. Anyone got a set of tracks for a D4C sitting around? Thank you. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    In general turning pins and bushings on small machines with SALT is not worth the expense. By the time you fix all the dry joints and replace seals and lube it's not worth the effort. If wear was slight and there are no dry joints it might be ok and there is the option of grease lube instead of the original oiled joints. May be a challenge to find a track shop that will do the option.

The rails are very likely to be too far worn for it to be worth turning the bushes in a SALT track, I doubt if you will find anyone except a Cat dealer who will turn them properly anyway. Give us the height of the links and part number plus the worn diameter of the bushes and I will consult my old CTS book to see what can be done.
    I used to turn bushes on all sizes of SALT track, after checking wear ratios to see if it was worthwhile.

Default Catsilver, some of the pins are worn thru?

Quote Originally Posted by catsilver View Post
    The rails are very likely to be too far worn for it to be worth turning the bushes in a SALT track, I doubt if you will find anyone except a Cat dealer who will turn them properly anyway. Give us the height of the links and part number plus the worn diameter of the bushes and I will consult my old CTS book to see what can be done.
    I used to turn bushes on all sizes of SALT track, after checking wear ratios to see if it was worthwhile.
    I doubt that there would be anything left to work with. We do have the original tracks that were removed to put the salt tracks on, so may put them on when the sprockets are replaced

If the bushes are won thru in SALT Track they are definitely not worth taking to the track shop, there won't be enough life left in the links to make it worthwhile.

Sprockets and chains are best kept as a matched wear pair otherwise sprockets tend to wear at an accelerated rate.

Any undercarriage parts will have some accelerated wear until they bed down again, if they are part worn and mismatched but I have done enough track inspections and swapped enough around to know that keeping sprockets and chains together is not necessary.

Bed down = accelerated wear. Depends on how mismatched the rails and sprockets are.

Exactly, I spent about 20 years as PSSR, part of the job was advising customers on how to get the best out of their undercarriage, there are a lot of factors in the thru life cost equation, even more than Cat tell you about on training courses.