Thread: For someone wanting a D7-C or something different...Western NY area..

Default For someone wanting a D7-C or something different...Western NY area..

Two of these coming up for auction Nov.30. They are in Wellsville NY "Otis Eastern"... starting bid of $3500. My D8H 36A came from them originally.. Mine seems to be a very well taken care of machine. There are two of these on the page, one does not steer one way "stuck clutch?"....
    http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/C...rm=&pnLink=yes

Quote Originally Posted by TimT View Post
    Two of these coming up for auction Nov.30. They are in Wellsville NY "Otis Eastern"... starting bid of $3500. My D8H 36A came from them originally.. Mine seems to be a very well taken care of machine. There are two of these on the page, one does not steer one way "stuck clutch?"....
    http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/C...rm=&pnLink=yes
    Have not seen that configuration. What would its use have been?
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

That tractor used to be a pipelayer, it has seven roller frames. Looks like a tent holder for now, with the swing out boom.

Default 'Configuration'????

Hi, O-I-H.
    'Configuration'???? My guess would be either a welding tractor or a shade-n-toll carrier for main line pipeline work. The boom would have swung out to to carry either welding leads or a largish umbrella. That said though, if it was a shade-n-tool carrier, it would be the biggest I have ever seen. Even the welding tractors that I have seen were mostly D4s, D5s or D6s.

Hi, TimT.
    If the 583s that you operated were capable of around 200,000# lifts, what could you have done with one set up like this?

Cat D8 14A offset sideboom melting away - now scrapped_1F_SC.jpgCat D8 14A offset sideboom melting away - now scrapped_1_SC.jpgCat D8 14A offset sideboom melting away - now scrapped_1H_SC.jpg

This configuration was originally done by Buster Peterson of Peterson Tractors Special Projects Division for Bechtel for use on the California-Texas pipeline back in the late 1940s-early 1950s and was mostly done on 2U and 13A D8s. This is the only 14A I have ever seen modified in this way. It was found up in Washington state several years ago and it has since been cut up for scrap. I e-mailed Peterson Tractors about it at the time 'cos I thought they may be interested in it for their 80th anniversary celebrations last year but received no reply..

Just my 0.02
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

It's a tack tractor, used to have 2 big Lincoln welders on the right side. Pipe line weldors would weld on both sides of the pipe at the same time. This one don't have an umbrella rack.
    Bob
    Last edited by bluox; 11-23-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Default Thort So.

Hi, Bluox.
    Thort so. Thought it had to be a welding tractor of some kind, whether front end, tie-ins or whatever. Thanks for the clarification.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default Tack tractors

Those are indeed welding tractors.... Have been used on pipelines for ever..almost... Most of them were modified onto dozers or old sidebooms by the contractors... If you take all the add-ons off, you will will have a 572 or a D7C or something. Rarely, a contractor would order an welding packages installed on new tractors... but I don't think that was usual at all. Regardless, rumor has been that the tractors sold there sell very cheap... and they seem to be good machines. I think Otis has some for sale down south...a couple have all the welders, booms for the shelter,hardware etc, on them still.Those are also listed on Iron Planet.

Seems like a tractor setup like that would/should have low hours on the Chassis but a lot of idling hours on the engine (while guys are welding)? Carrying stuff from one weld joint to the next shouldn't be too taxing of work for the rest of the tractor? Probably a decent machine overall?

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post
    Seems like a tractor setup like that would/should have low hours on the Chassis but a lot of idling hours on the engine (while guys are welding)? Carrying stuff from one weld joint to the next shouldn't be too taxing of work for the rest of the tractor? Probably a decent machine overall?
    Looks like it is in great shape... if it was a sideboom, no reason it should have been abused... Sidebooms don't relay live a hard life on pipeline jobs generally speaking. I know that train wrecking sidebooms, at least the ones I was around didn't need a ton of maintenance. Even for old machines. Pipeline work is mostly pick up pipe and carry it around. Plenty of idle time also. Of course they see rough days now and again, but not like a dozer on a rock job or something.