Thread: new thirty winter project

Thumb new thirty winter project

well another recovery in the books. just finished picking up my new thirty today PS 10791. the quick walk around said i got my work cut out for me but look it has such a nice blade setup on it and the price was right, so i made a deal. now for the bad news, it's been sitting in the same spot since 1948 or 1963. we are not sure which but i was informed that it ran when parked so that's a good thing right? well we got one jug that's got a freeze crack in it and the manifold is going to need a little work but it's all there. the cat has been under water twice with flooding through out the years, one of which was the same flood that landed my dw6 in water. steering clutches are free and the brakes do have some give to them but the hand clutch and the gear shift are solid as a rock. my plan is to try and get the motor fixed this winter and take things from there. does anyone have pic of a engine stand for a thirty or what they used in the past as well as anything to watch for when taking the motor out? i am thinking that the blade set up is a La-plant choke ? where should i look for info tags? most of the frame is riveted or with square bolts with some welding add on over the years. the cat was used to push coal for a briquette plant. very interesting rotary Hyd Valve it has with the rack and pinon for movement and lucky for me it's not stuck )
    :IMG_3204.jpgIMG_3205.jpgIMG_3199.jpgIMG_3195.jpgIMG_3154.jpgIMG_3148.jpgIMG_3201.jpgIMG_3203.jpg

Tidy looking old girl from here. Neat blade too. I always get a kick out of “ it was running when we parked it”. I reckon the Titanic and the Hindenburg were running when they parked em.

Good luck with your project

Bruce P.
    Two Ton, Diesel 35, Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol ,(3) 4G D4's, 5U D2, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7

Good save there, Martin. That does look like a LaPlant-Choate setup, there are a few pictures of Thirty's in my photo archive book that have that same system mounted on them that are identified as such. It would be cool to see it operating again with that big blade see-sawing up and down around the entire machine!
    D2 5J2115SP
    D2 5U7066
    RD6 2H1768
    RD6 2H3072
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A331
    No.9 Auto Patrol 8A539
    Ten PT3037
    Twenty PL134 (Yard-Art)
    Minneapolis-Moline prototype crawler X253
    1945 Farmall H

Hey Mog, that's no Dog. really good find, lots of work but will be a cool unit when you get it finished. The hydraulic valve lever control mechanism is very interesting.

Wombat (Bush bulldozers forever)

Confused Well?

It ran when it was parked so it must be Super Valuable!
    Seriously just dump some gas in it, file the points and drive it on the trailer!
    LOL!
    It is a nice save!
    Be even better when that blade is working with a nice story to go with it!
    Thanks for posting!

Default Nice

Nicely done buddy! We will have to get together over the course of a few weekends to work on that engine.

i got to do a little work on the thirty and trying to make a plan . i plan on building a engine stand and was just wondering where one should support. i planing on using the bell-housing and at the front just before it bolts on to the rad. the more i look at this engine i get more questions. the side of the block has been welded from the front corner all the way back too the carb is that part of the water jacket? next question is how far will i have to slide the motor ahead to clear the transmission as i was just going to leave the blade on it for right now as it's been welded on. after unbolting the motor will the clutch assembly come out with the motor or say with the trans. the way things look right now i might be looking for a oil pan and at lest one jug. thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images