Thread: Video starting a 12 grade and operating it by Riley Dog

Default Video starting a 12 grade and operating it by Riley Dog

Just watched the vid. Pete there is a decelerator pedal on the floor. Push it down to decelerate before grinding into gear.::
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Default Caught!

Dog gone Go-Pros and YouTube. They catch all your shortcuts, cheats and sins. Almost as bad as having your Mom follow you around.

I didn't know it had a decelerator. I was looking for the clutch brake, but should have slowed the engine down with the hand throttle anyway. I didn't think decelerators came in until the powershift transmission.

I guess that's what you get with ham fisted truckers trying to operate equipment.

Pete.

Default Smart People?

Hi, Garlic Pete.
    After Cat 12 graders got ACCelerators/decelerators, all the smart people that I ever saw operating them used the ACCelerator instead of the hand throttle anyway unlesss they were working on long runs. The really smart ones would weld a small piece of steel plate at an appropriate angle on the ACCelerator side of that pedal mechanism to spread the load more on the boot sole so that it didn't cause a sore foot. That pedal arrangement gave the operator much better control over the machine, especially when working in tight places.

BTW, if it is adjusted correctly, you can also use that DEcelerator pedal to shut the machine down simply by stomping on it. There is adjustment for both accelerator and decelator sides under the floor plate

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default I had forgotten......

We had Cat 112s in the Seabees in Viet Nam which I spent some time on. I had forgotten about the Accelerator/Deaccelerator and yes we stomped it to do a shut down. When running a blade, you are rather busy with both hands on the levers so to get better control the foot accelerator really gave more control. Never saw a plate welded on one though.

Thanks Deas for bringing back the memories.

Now I need to go see the video where Pete was grinding away.

JanM

Default thought I posted the video

Oh well, the full title on. u-tube is---- Starting an antique road grader with a pony motor and first time driving it. by Riley Dog
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Default "the plate".

H- JanM.
    The plate was my idea and I did it to a couple of Cat 12Es that I spent some time on.

Quote:
    "When running a blade, you are rather busy with both hands on the levers "
    Unquote.

I was once told by a bloke who spent an hour on an 'old' Cat 14G grader that I was operating that he had worked his 'delicate derierre' off for that hour while I just sat up there and made it look like I was letting it happen.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default Video.

Here's a link, since I've already been fully outed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIE2BQdVbUQ

You might want to check out Rileydog362's other videos. He's got lots of neat stuff, including many of his GMC Cannonball, lots of railroad stuff, horse stuff and other interesting stuff.

Pete.