Thread: "and then there was 2"

Default "and then there was 2"

Well you guys all warned me that once I had one it would be long and I would have another. Picked up a 7U-D4 on the weekend to add to the collection. Looks pretty sharp next to my 5U-D2. Doesn't run right now - but then again neither did my D2 when I got it, and it only took 128 days to get operational. Does anyone know if a hood kicking around for a 7U-D4? or Side panels? that is all that's really missing from it, other than the original air cleaner - someone has updated this one at some point to a dry filter element.

Pictures below - more to come as I start the work on it.

Cheers
    Nate
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool picture
    It was a hot summer day as I drove down a chat road to my friends house. Almost there a neighbor flagged me down and informed me I needed to slow down because of the dust. He said "you ain't got no sense".
    I said "you're correct, I live on a paved road".

Any idea why it doesn’t run? Are both engines free?

Default Hyd Seized

Hey Oil Slick,

so the story I got regarding the D4 is as follows. It was out working, and blew a hydraulic line. They tried to get it back to the yard as quick as they could so as to repair it, but on the way to the yard the hydraulic system ran out of oil. So they stopped it and shut it down, and that is where it sat until it was purchased by the guy before me who never had a chance to work on it. So my thought is that the hydraulic pump is seized. The tank is off colored (the color Cat yellow gets when its been really hot). I think that the hydraulic unit was hot from having no oil in it, and when they shut it down it seized up after it cooled down. Plan is to take the hydraulic unit off the front, and see if the big engine will turn then. The pipes were covered while it sat so I don't think it will be stuck.

The pony turns over, but has no compression on the right head - I am thinking maybe just a sticky valve?? It has good spark on both sides, just no compression on the one side.

What are you thoughts??

Thanks
    Nate

I think you are on the right path. Pull the pony head on the side with no compression to see if a valve is stuck. The head gasket is reusable. If it is free try to start it. The rings could be stuck but not as common as a valve stuck open. They will run and work with very little compression and may well free up sticky rings if running a bit. I think disconnecting the pump and try turning the main by hand with the compression release on is a great starting point.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper