Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Reviving another old relic - D9G

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Misterskill.
    Man, yer gotta LOVE innovation.

Nah. You don't want a D2. Ev'rybody - and their dog - has a D2. How many people do you see on here with a D9G dozer with a multi-shank ripper?????????

Just my 0.02.
    Good point. Although I admit I felt a pang of jealousy when i watched a bloke on youtube pull his D2 trans out in his garage with an block and tackle. my poor old land cruiser will be sweating when i put mine on it and limp it home haha

Thankfully at 29 I'm still able to grovel around in the dirt and lift heavy stuff

Good to see that you're still making progress on it.

That bushing looks really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterskill View Post
    Have a look at this for the latest in welding comfort! there are probably 4 or 5 strategically stashed around the yard.

Fun? is that what it's called. I caught myself the other day, whilst once again starting the excavator to lift something, (or belting something with the 12lbs sledge) muttering "I should have bought a d2..."

Alas we soldier on! Go hard or go home

2 more rams and hoses getting done on the KATO tomorrow so that's another job out of the way. Then my off-sider is away on holiday again in march so I'm off to try and make a bit of extra cash and keep the whole project going
    Keeps the rear end cool and good ventilation when gas pressure builds up! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Misterskill View Post
    Well, back into it. Main ram seals done on the excavator so back into the old rig

Track split and cylinder out. Clean it up tomorrow, then send the seals off to get replacements.

Also found a picture of it working back in the old days. 1967, she would have been a flash rig back then!
    Thats a neat picture of her back in the day. Was she a opal miner from new?

Cheers
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy- View Post
    Thats a neat picture of her back in the day. Was she a opal miner from new?

Cheers
    Billy
    Wouldn't have been new, be bloody close though. Imagine floating that thing up 600km of dirt road back in 1967....

Alright so we are back into it.

Too cold to do any of the blade welding job so we've parked that until it warms back up again. Hydraulic shaft and coupling are back along with bearing and seals, only thing i stuffed up was i didn't send the disc pre-load washer with it. Reckon i can get one anywhere? got a few part numbers from different suppliers for something close but no stock in Australia, best is a 3 week wait out of Germany. managed to get a few wave washers and we are going to try and see if that works.

Anyway, here is a shot Trunnion ball. No idea how a chunk of steel ends up looking like this, but apparently it can

20190522_134424.jpg

And the shiny new one. that's both done now

20190522_134509.jpg

Had a few rust holes up on top of the blade where dirt seems to pile up

20190519_140039.jpg

so we ground the worst of it out and built a half inch plate box thing over it

20190522_134525.jpg

Yeah, we ran out of paint this afternoon haha

20190522_174527.jpg

If these washers turn up (express posted from Sydney on Friday so can't be far away) we should be able to get the hydraulics back together over the weekend and the blade back on. Stand the tractor up and do all the rubbers then slide that track with the crook bush out. We are getting close to pulling the trans out which i hope is the last big job.

Anyway this is the opal we are chasing, found this a few weeks ago. going through some old tailings with one of my other machines.

20190519_171914.jpg

Another weekend, more boxes ticked

Got some hydraulics down, seals are shot and rams need re-chroming.

20190608_144704.jpg

20190608_143922.jpg

20190608_143916.jpg

Both cylinder nuts were loose so going to take the good one down and check that too and throw a seal kit in it while we are at it. Need to chase up some replacement balls as they are pretty crook too.

Started on the trans. only broke one spanner so that's pretty good. (sacrificial ring spanner we cut the end off and put a 1.5m cheater pipe on to get the uni bolts undone haha) All pipes disconnected and scavenge pump removed. Got to make up a lifting jig to get the torque divider out and i stuffed up and only ordered 2 lifting lugs for the trans instead of 4 (DOH!) so there will be another week or so wait on that.

20190610_122740.jpg

20190610_173922.jpg

Parts for the radiator fan idler should be here this week so we can start on that while we are waiting.
    Last edited by Misterskill; 06-10-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Default Great Stuff.

Hi, Misterskill.
    Great stuff. It's good that hear that you are making progress. I have runna LOTTTTA of different machines over my time in the saddle and I still think the D9Gs were some of the best. In fact, I preferred them to the D9Hs.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

And out she comes

20190616_085520.jpg
    20190615_104854.jpg
    20190615_100219.jpg
    20190616_123536.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Torque Converter Scavenge Pump

Hi Misterskill,
    sadly, it looks like you missed removing the T/C Scav. Pump before removing the entire T/C assembly from the engine.

It is not unknown for the T/C to drop down onto the scav. pump drive gear and bend the scav. pump input shaft.
    The T/C scav. pump should be removed before the T/C assembly is removed from the engine and re-fitted after the assembly is back in place on the engine.

Sorry for the heads up now, I hope it is fine. If the shaft is bent and not noticed then a rotating bending fatigue failure of the shaft usually results in carnage in the T/C housing when the scav. pump gear gets loose.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Quote Originally Posted by edb View Post
    Hi Misterskill,
    sadly, it looks like you missed removing the T/C Scav. Pump before removing the entire T/C assembly from the engine.

It is not unknown for the T/C to drop down onto the scav. pump drive gear and bend the scav. pump input shaft.
    The T/C scav. pump should be removed before the T/C assembly is removed from the engine and re-fitted after the assembly is back in place on the engine.

Sorry for the heads up now, I hope it is fine. If the shaft is bent and not noticed then a rotating bending fatigue failure of the shaft usually results in carnage in the T/C housing when the scav. pump gear gets loose.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Very good point. Will check.

Thanks