Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviving another old relic - D9G

Another tip is to use your tilt cylinder and it will slowly turn the tractor when pushing a blade full. That slows the wear on the steering clutches.

Thanks fellas,

Not breaking things or excessive wear is pretty high on the priority list when you are fixing these things yourself, so i'll take all that on board. plus its always easier to start off correctly then try and fix bad habits later

So looks like second gear at half throttle or just under and cruise in forward only. I'll stop halfway for a while, just because i can, and obviously watch the temp gauges. But she seems to run pretty well.

(quote) So looks like second gear at half throttle or just under and cruise in forward only. I'll stop halfway for a while, just because i can, and obviously watch the temp gauges. But she seems to run pretty well.(end quote)

Walking it home at half throttle should be OK but when you work it, keep in mind that these engines were designed to be run at "high idle" which is Cat speak for wide open throttle.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Neat old tractor, would of been massive in its time and still is a big dozer. Beauty of the climate up there is corrosion should be minimal, not like a lot of dozers from wetter areas that suffer badly from corrosion when left outside to rot. Still quite a few 8's and 9's left sitting around in opal fields from what I hear. Most probably parked for a reason however this one appears a near tractor and fired up no worries! Good luck with it and keep us posted, a great era of dozer.

Cheers
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy- View Post
    Neat old tractor, would of been massive in its time and still is a big dozer. Beauty of the climate up there is corrosion should be minimal, not like a lot of dozers from wetter areas that suffer badly from corrosion when left outside to rot. Still quite a few 8's and 9's left sitting around in opal fields from what I hear. Most probably parked for a reason however this one appears a near tractor and fired up no worries! Good luck with it and keep us posted, a great era of dozer.

Cheers
    Billy
    This one had a ticking noise in reverse apparently, so far so good though... the price i got it for i was expecting at least one major repair.

Big enough for me i reckon, found an old Komatsu D455A the other day. Everything is big and heavy on mine, let alone something like that...

Getting pretty thin on the ground these days. I think they all went to Mintabie when that took off and most didn't make it back.

So we loosened the track bleed valve and a little bit of grease came out, not much pressure. so we removed the valve, pumped a bit it in to watch it was going in, then put them back in and started filling it up.

We ended up assisting it a bit with a jack between the frame and the idler brackets. got about 50mm on one side (2inches) before it stopped moving as freely. then onto the other side, heap of grease and nothing. then it starts leaking oil? thinking it might the "track adjuster seal" i keep hearing so much about and hoping it's nothing more serious. it has been leaking for a while by the look of it. We were looking at trying and jack it apart and then fill with grease and see how it holds up.

Thanks for your help fellas, it's much appreciated. Get this old girl fixed up and back into it in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Misterskill View Post
    This one had a ticking noise in reverse apparently, so far so good though... the price i got it for i was expecting at least one major repair.

Big enough for me i reckon, found an old Komatsu D455A the other day. Everything is big and heavy on mine, let alone something like that...

Getting pretty thin on the ground these days. I think they all went to Mintabie when that took off and most didn't make it back.

So we loosened the track bleed valve and a little bit of grease came out, not much pressure. so we removed the valve, pumped a bit it in to watch it was going in, then put them back in and started filling it up.

We ended up assisting it a bit with a jack between the frame and the idler brackets. got about 50mm on one side (2inches) before it stopped moving as freely. then onto the other side, heap of grease and nothing. then it starts leaking oil? thinking it might the "track adjuster seal" i keep hearing so much about and hoping it's nothing more serious. it has been leaking for a while by the look of it. We were looking at trying and jack it apart and then fill with grease and see how it holds up.

Thanks for your help fellas, it's much appreciated. Get this old girl fixed up and back into it in no time!
    From what I hear parts are getting very thin on the ground for D355 and D455A's, would be quite a task taking ownership of one of them.

Sounds like you could be on a winner with that D9G, looks straight and got most track guards in place which is a bonus. Would of been warm mining for opal with that in the desert with no canopy!

Have heard there is a few cats lying around Mintabie, gonna be up there in Sept so good chance to have a scout around.

after about 4 tubes of grease and assisting it with a portapower the tracks finally came out! had a bit of a scratch around and the have gone back in a little bit, but still out a fair way compared to where they were.

20180617_164619.jpg20180617_164550.jpg

trans oil change next weekend

Alright so we have had a bit of progress.

Drove the old girl home. Track seals are shot and She has trans issues in reverse so we blocked the tracks and i kept it in first and just cruised.

2z5ltep.jpg

Hacked the blade to bits as per my other post

2po5dtk.jpg

Did battle with these bolts. Broke a few tools before i ended up with a sledgehammer and slogging spanner.... Got one bolt out, the rest i cut.

402-180818192640-56131011.jpg

402-180818192630-55992056.jpg

402-180818192629-55991605.jpg

Fun and games!

Looks like your making good progress. Are you going to pull the tranny out for the reverse issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy- View Post
    Looks like your making good progress. Are you going to pull the tranny out for the reverse issue?
    Yeah, Doing the ram seals on the excavator as well at the moment, so we can lift it out with that. Then my mate is off on holiday for 2 months so it'll be a good time to get the bank account a bit healthier before we get back into it.