Thread: Cat 12 8t trans pops out of gear

Default Cat 12 8t trans pops out of gear

My 12pops out of gear in reverse and makes a grinding noise till I get it back in gear. I can hold my foot against the stick to keep it in gear.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

When it grinds is it high pitch grind or when you try to put it back in gear does the grind slow down
    No.10 Auto Patrol 1K59 SP, Bolens parts tractor soon to be a crawler, Speedex model B 1940, Bolens Husky 600 1961, Bolens Husky 600 1962,
    Cushman truckster

Bye

Pretty low pitch grind. Noise stops when I get it back in gear.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 28,

Transmission lock out mechanism should prevent it from coming out of gear....or there is something major going on with shifter fork, bearings or shafts.

Default No Engine Brake?

Hi, Oldbeek.
    While I was across the puddle last time, earlier this year, I (briefly) encountered a 99E which jumps out of both forward and reverse - and does it with BOTH sticks, main and range change - while going downhill against the engine in either direction. It then SUDDENLY has no engine braking and promptly does a bolt for the nearest creek, waterhole or other lower-lying obstacle.

Kinda dis-concerting. You can hold them both in with your right foot and your right hand - which makes it kinda awkward to get to the brake pedal - which doesn't work all that flash anyway.

The owner's representative and I jointly decided to 'bench' it as it hadda few other issues too, including needing its brow wiped occasionally - needs a little TLC - and some cash throwing at it - or a G or H series machine.

With all the other issues this machine had, we didn't even bother to investigate why it was jumping out of gear.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Transmission lock out mechanism should prevent it from coming out of gear....or there is something major going on with shifter fork, bearings or shafts.
    I think I need to take a careful look at the transmission lock out mechanism and its adjustment. The previous owner did a lot of shade tree repairs that were not up to specs. I was looking for some obvious areas to start. Thank You