Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sixty project.....finally

The floor plate and controls and the top of the transmission will have to come off too.

You can probably get away without removing the top of the steering clutch compartment, depending on how your belt pulley comes off. The top shaft has a 5/8" fast thread hole at the back end and usually does not require a puller - just a strong steady hand pull.

Do you have a replacement shaft? I think I have a spare in the 60 parts pile.

Yes I have a shaft in a donor tractor if its good. Thanks for asking. They have some serious gears in them don't they!

Default Just curious

Well its snowing here today so time to switch top transmission shafts. All is going well so far, but noticed something different between the 2 tractors. The reverse idler gear is mounted on the left side of the transmission on the sixty I am rebuilding. The donor tractor is mounted on the right side, but has the shaft mount on the left side too so I guess you could mount it either way. Does anyone know why they changed that? I'm thinking it might change the gear pattern? Any one know or have thoughts?

Default Lock-N-Stitch?

Looks like we will have major teardown no matter what. Pulled the top rear shaft bearing race out and looks like we have a crack in the case between the top and bottom transmission shaft holes. Goes through the bottom nut lock bolt hole too. Thinking about using the lock-n -stitch method. Anyone tried this? Is this a common crack on the 60s? I will try to get someone to post pics as I am almost computer illiterate.

Default Bummer

Thatís the Pitts about your transmission. Iíve heard good things about the lock and stitch. It might be easier to swap transmissions since you have a parts tractor.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.