Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel question?

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Drujinin.
    Back in the 1940s - 1950s. Cat used to advertise that their diesels could be run on #2 burner fuel, a heavier, less refined version of diesel fuel. I got the chance to try it when I was a teenager, burning it in a 2T D4 and it 'ackshully' gave a little more power than the normal diesel fuel. I was up one gear pulling tandem plows in most places.

Just my 0.02.
    Deas, I cant believe you actually ran a piece of farm equipment. You aren't a farmer, you are an earth sculpture. Kinda tarnishing your reputation.
    D-4 7U-43159 with 4S dozer and Cat 40 scraper, D-7 3T-1179 with Cat 7S hydraulic dozer, D-7 17A 13,944, D-8 14A-1160 with Cat 8S cable dozer, Cat 12-99E-4433 Grader. All runners and users.

In the U.K. Heating oil - Kerosene is cheap enough and holds a low VAT Tax rate, plus the fact that the Diesel Fuel that is now sold within the U.K. is a new type that has caused older fuel systems issues, we do have Farm- Off Road spec fuel that is Red dye marked and lower cost than the Road Fuel, but you cannot buy the old standard of Red Fuel now so people are starting to think of running on Kerosene, I would like to thank you all for your comments and give it a go in a few Old Cat's and see what happens, the Kerosene here has a Cetane rate of 55 and above so it should burn well. tctractors

Hi, Paso Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Paso Bob View Post
    Deas, I cant believe you actually ran a piece of farm equipment. You aren't a farmer, you are an earth sculpture. Kinda tarnishing your reputation.
    Everybody's gotta start somewhere. I started by operating a Cat 22 with a dozer blade controlled by a hand windlass. Try doing final trim with that. I probably spent more time on that D4 doing dozer work than I did plowing.

'Sides, I didn't know I hadda 'reputation' to tarnish that wasn't already thataway.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Drujinin.
    Back in the 1940s - 1950s. Cat used to advertise that their diesels could be run on #2 burner fuel, a heavier, less refined version of diesel fuel. I got the chance to try it when I was a teenager, burning it in a 2T D4 and it 'ackshully' gave a little more power than the normal diesel fuel. I was up one gear pulling tandem plows in most places.

Just my 0.02.

In the US #2 burner fuel is the same exact fuel as #2 road and off road fuel. The only difference is that the furnace fuel has only sales tax added to the base price. The red dyed #2 off road is cheaper priced because it does not have the road tax added to it. Of course this all changes when the weather cools off and the truck stops and fuel stations al go to a #1 and #2 mix based on how cold it gets at that location. Our local venders are currently selling 60% #2 and 40% #1 mix at both the road and dyed fuel pumps. Some places call the 60/40 mix premium fuel and raise the price another 40 to 50 cents a gallon.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

What OIH says is pretty much how the "Winterized" Fuels are down here also!
    I believe the EAST Coast Home Heating Fuel is a Low Sulfur blended Diesel as I read an EPA report many years ago that cross contamination in the pipelines would negate the "Low Sulfur" standard. Consequently most fuels hitting the Depots now is ONLY a Low Sulfur blend that is sold all based on usage and tax.
    But on the Internet there are naysayers that will say I am wrong!
    As far as our British counterparts utilizing Kerosene in their tractors all I would comment is to add some oil to it for Lubricity as I was always lead to believe that Kerosene is a "dry" fuel.