Thread: Nice 17a my explanation. 17afarmer

Default Nice 17a my explanation. 17afarmer

I saved this tractor from Quinn CO. Wrecking yard in 1978,we used it until the fall of 88 when the engine went bad , Holt wanted 16000 to patch it , I found this 75E surplus engine for 6500$ only catch which I found out later the hi horse has a piston ring crank seal. Yes it is A hi horse, took a year to get an adapter plate for crank seal, fan, air cleaner, front motor mount and a lot of smaller parts fabricated, it was factory glow plugs- direct start never finished the way I wanted so on the last rebuild it was stripped , sand blasted completely rebuilt from clutch back including control tower, swing frames,seat and anything else I could find ,as for the SA part I wanted the batteries, tool box of the deck so it got full fenders like I said before this has been a beautiful tractor for 40 years I guess I will keep it
    ps I have got a factory cat cab if I ever get it put on. 17afarmer mike.

Default Neat story

Welcome to the wide world of ACMOC and the Bulletin Board 17A Farmer. Glad to have you aboard. Iím going to guess you are involved in agriculture. There are a few folks here on the BB including myself that are involved in Ag one way or another.
    TractorDon once asked me which was my favorite tractor, and I replied that that was like asking if I had a favorite child 😂. Thatís very impressive the amount of time and resources you have expended to make a tractor to your liking. Looks like quite the hot rod crawler. In my younger days working for wages, I disked several thousand acres with a D7E high horse and a 28í Towner finishing disk. Chugged along in 4th gear all day and most of the night!
    Feel free to share some more tidbits with us sir! JM

Default To juiceman

You are right I have farmed all my life, I have always used cats as I was told by a large farmer- dairyman- landleveler freind when I was young cats are the only way to go. To me fuel fuel efficiency, maneuverability,stability,low ground pressure are something wheel rigs will never have. I have been called old school old fashioned. And I am sure a lot worse I donít care common sense never goes out of style, CATS are still common sense machines. Thank you. 17afarmer. Mike

"Common sense never goes out of style"

17aFarmer

True dat!!
    R2 4J, D2 4U, D2 5U, D4 7U

Default Common Sense???????????????

Hi, 17AFarmer and Crawler Dollars.
    I saw a headstone in a cemetary ( 'Dead' center of town.) back home in about 1973-74. It read and I quote:

"Here lies Common Sense, R.I.P., 1969."

Much of today's world and the political scene would seem to back that up.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.