Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping

Doh Ripping

Working on a project between rain storms. Lowering this road to get it to 10 inches above the field level. Cut 1 to almost 4 feet. Then need to cut another 4 feet the length of the road for a drain ditch on one side. Breaking some hard pan today hereís a few pictures of the chunks I am pulling up46767672-BA9A-4805-A5BF-A7ADE00D7CF3.jpg83AA2FAC-B932-4878-9FD8-6F2C3DDC97B7.jpg0ACB614B-EFF5-4EB0-8628-0FD6D75880AA.jpg8528FF85-CE70-4AE6-824A-D2DCD3CA0B8D.jpg skinner

Default Iím envious!

Skinner, youíre killing me here. I havenít had any tractor seat time in awhile. I hope your D8 is treating you well. That is a sweet tractor you have (not to mention other toys). My next job will be prepping for some Italian Cypress windbreaks and a pond possibly. Not dry enough here😿. JM

Juiceman this one of the few dry spots we have and I found a soft spot and got about as close to being stuck as I want to get with the D8 but we need the rain so let keep coming! 😎 Skinner

we get so little rain, I jumped on the roads with my 12 at the first chance. One road had a high dome top full of ruts and pot holes. I talked with the neighbors about rebuilding it. Well after the first rain I scarfiered the road so it could absorb some moisture with the next rain. The next rain dumped 3 inches. That is a lot on the desert. I told the neighbors to stay off it. Part of it I never touched to give them clean access. Well,, a delivery truck thought that mud would be a challenge. After a heavy wrecker winched him out, I had a mess. 4 days of dry wind to dry it some and it is looking better. I am getting plenty of seat time.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T6995 running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438

Default Pure pudding

My last tractor adventure wasnít too good I will admit. Working East if Elk Grove, CA I wanted to clean up what I had plowed. I waited for the best day between storms and brought out an AC ďLĒ drag disc. Iíve never worked on rolling clay ground. I hit a spot that buried my disc and D6. The topsoil was okay, but underneath it looked just like chocolate pudding. I had to unpin the disc to free myself. Added insult to injury, the disc was completely balled up with mud. I have not done that in my entire life until then. Mucking the disc clean was an ordeal itself. I got a good 3 hour workout!
    I have become a fair weather farmer since then. JM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like you have had a sheltered life JM. Or maybe 😒 I need to leave my tractors and machinery parked 😒 and never kill another plant and I can have a sheltered life. 😁😁😁 I would not complain about never cleaning another track frame ,or disc out with a bar.
    😁

Always gets me thinking how fun it would be to turn one of new driverless tractors lose. I could see a very disturbed place in the field and no tractor. Wonder what the warranty would be on that if the tractor could be dug out of the slim.Probably better saying it disappeared than to try using it after the computer replacements.

For the most part I cannot sink a crawler in my area,but spit and that is enough moisture to plug the disc. Plenty of sticky slimy clay, did I say very sticky. Nothing like a operator that has experience. Had a old fellow that would drive for me just to get away from his house. He went past the line I made in one of the fields that will sink a Cat. Driving a RD7 he started turning which broke the crust. Knew to stop,able to push the cable under the 7 and get to the drawbar without any digging or crawling in the muck. A long, really long cable and 9u D6 had it out in no time. A farmer before me with not so good of help had 2 TD9's stuck at the same time in that field(maybe not so long of cable ether).

So on that note I better complement JM cause he got the tractor out without help. Who cares about the disc if the tractor is out.

Skinner may your skill, and or luck whatever ever keep you from sticking the D8.
    Last edited by Ray54; 02-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Default Sounds About Like.................................

Hi, Juiceman.
    Sounds about like Garlic Pete taking his 769 rear dump out for a drive in the fields at Santa Margarita Ranch when it was wet and getting stuck - - - not once, but TWICE, AND needing Mary Ann's help to get out the second time.

Havya given any thought to getting yourself a hovertractor and hoverplow??????????????????? But that might cut down on the exercise potential. LOL.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Juiceman are you trying to make clay bricks for this next summer. Most of the adobe clay that I have been around in the area will become so hard when it dries that the grousers on a D8 will not penetrate it if it is worked wet.

Poor old 44A, getting horsed around in the mud.

Howís it running JM??

Still winter time up here, no farming for awhile.

BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.

Biggrin1 Gimme a break!

LOL. Itís hard to stay off of a tractor when the weather was nice!
    I only stuck her once, and walked her out of the slop, AND I pulled the disc out. My conscious wonít allow me to ďabandon shipĒ. Iím semi intelligent, I only mired it one time, and wasnít tempted to try a second time like someone else would have....perfect moisture on top; didnít expect a low spot with goo underneath!
    CR: The topsoil had so much organic material, it fluffed up beautifully on the initial pass. The previous dweller made mention of the fact that dirt in your area is unforgiving. Just like you mentioned, hard as rock when dry! The original intent was only for fire control. There are plenty of abandoned fields(neglected is more like it) nearby, yet the local FD doesnít enforce any cleanup or buffer zones. My friend got bilked on a mowing job here, so I volunteered to do it correctly. One thing lead to another, as now I get to beautify the remainder of the property😬. Nice thing is I get to host playtime out here now!
    Bruce: Running good! Runs like a thoroughbred waiting to unleash pent up energy! Iím tempted to bolt up the turbo from my #10,111 to see what difference it might make. JM