Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D3 direct drive serial # ranges

I too have never heard of these models. Were they built in Japan or Europe or somewhere besides in the US? Those pictures look "foreign made" to me. I wonder if it has a foot clutch pedal? I see the forward and reverser lever Neil mentions but it looks like a clutch would be needed somewhere in the controls.

Now Neil, you are probably thinking of mowing your lawn with one of these and I admit, that would be way cool! But have you considered how your lawn might be torn up when you make your turns?

JanM

OK, other variants of the D3 run 62-75 hp, all are built in Japan.
    Last edited by Old Magnet; 04-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Yes--Mine has Mitsubishi on the tags---what Neil calls the forward/reverse lever is the different speed f/r lever on my power shift, also has the throttle twist control coming up
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Need more pictures to see where the clutch control is (or someone that has one can chime in). I'm guessing there aren't any of these in WA...16k sounds like a lot for a 30 year old machine but it's got all the features and presumably not too old yet for spare parts?
    The transmission housing has some interesting curves to it, almost like it's a slush box
    Cheers,
    Neil.

On the 7Jf the main clutch is hydraulic operated (lever to left of seat). Standard arrangement is separate brake pedals and lever steering or as an attachment combined brake and pedal steering. Transmission is sliding gear, not constant mesh.
    I believe the 3-point hitch and pto is by others as it is not shown as attachments in the parts book.
    The one weakness I see (and Cat typical) is the track truck stub shaft pivot and its bearing housing.
    Last edited by Old Magnet; 04-15-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Another one just sold for 8k in Mexico - almost affordable - set up as a welding tractor. Running gear looks good.

https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...México/1845377
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I have a D4c-SeriesII direct drive. It was a Georgia Forest Service tractor, made by Caterpillar-Mitsubishi. The floor pan and gearshift look similar to this D3. On mine, there is a clutch pedal is on the left, and a pedal in the center, which is a parking brake. There is no pedal on the right. The forward/reverse lever is on the left side, outward from the throttle.

Interesting David, would you be able to post some pictures of those arrangements?
    It looks like the D3 DD clutch is activated by the forward/reverse lever to the left of the operator. I wonder if it has the capability of being feathered
    Cheers,
    Neil.