Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: D2 5J - Cranks N Cranks N Cranks etc Are we there yet?

For that one...actually still quite pliable. The others though are an unknown. What size O-rings would they be?
    Order of purchase:
    1963 Massey Fergusson 202 Work Bull w/ gannon
    1977 International Harvester Loadstar 1600 dump truck - flatbed dump w/ stake-sides
    1941 D2 5J CAT - 5J3750
    Just need a backhoe now and HD flatbed trailer now...

Default Injection Pump Body Seal

Hi,
    part number is 2A3307--shown in Parts Book on the page for Fuel Pump Housing--actually shown in with the off to the left side of the picture of a separate Injection Pump Assembly--is hard to find for the first time.

Size is given in a Cat O Ring Book as 0.375" ID X 0.169" Cross Section--no specifications for material used though, back at that time Cat used a colored paint stripe system for material used-- likely not valid today-- First stripe orange, second and third stripes white.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

That o-ring will be about 20c from the dealer - can't remember what I paid for mine but it's essentially nothing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

"Essentially nothing." Nice qualifier.
    Am seeing results from as little as 10 cents from HYDRAULIC EXPRESS to well over $8 just for ONE from various vendors! Think I'll go with the former...looks like they're having a 90% off sale on them (otherwise ~$1/ea) and just get a dozen. Rather have the other 8 and not need than not have and need.

NOTE: Can't order just 12 from Hyd Exp. OH HELL NO WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!!! I need to meet a minimum order. All 43 in stock. Cheapest shipping is $24 though. Might still go for it considering that half the other ~20c+ places want almost $15-20 for S&H even though I can buy exact quantities I want. Decisions decisions.

NOTE 2: I done did it.
    Last edited by RuralTowner; 09-14-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    Order of purchase:
    1977 International Harvester Loadstar 1600 dump truck - flatbed dump w/ stake-sides
    1941 D2 5J CAT - 5J3750

IT!
    LIVES!
    AGAIN!

Seemed a bit odd that #1 & 4 weren't bleeding out as much as they did during my initial pre-cleaning when getting the air out. 4 burped quite a bit originally...would spit out a good 1/4in. But all 4 now put out consistently the same light flow since everything got lined up proper. Didn't get any flow out the filter tower tube even with the knob turned way out though. But after about 5min spent tinkering with the bleeders and seeing that all 4 plungers were merrily doing their business I gave it more throttle and the black began to puff. Tried to catch once even with the compression release in START. Set it back to RUN. Took a few attempts but finally caught.

In a rain of carbon crumbs...and no doubt a tad of rust...it puffed to life. If the exhaust flapper is a measure..even at 1/3 throttle it's running even. I recall it being a tad erratic before. Particularly if the plunger gears weren't all lined up right which would also account for #4 getting LOTS of fuel to burp. Only had enough diesel on hand for the tank pickup to start sucking...let it idle for 15min to lube up before it started to give that errant sputter of looming starvation. Some extra fuel and will see just how much easier it will be to start cold compared to before. Hopefully no more 15-20min.

Would've did a circuit around the property but couldn't get the blade to lift...the hydraulics managed to drip away enough and even what I had left wasn't enough. Need to re-plumb it all anyway since the supply to the pump goes UPHILL from the reservoir on the right fender before going to the pump. The plumbing in general...no filter either. Will be putting 1 in so can hopefully get awhile more out of the crusty pump.

PS: Those bulk O-rings came in 1 pack. Was expecting it to be single-packs to then serve for possible...turnaround. At least a couple of them though are a bit OS. Only noticed when they went on a bit loose on the pump supply nipples. <shrug>
    Last edited by RuralTowner; 09-21-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Order of purchase:
    1941 D2 5J CAT - 5J3750

Whoo Hoo !!!!
    Congrats!
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Even better...literally just came in from doing a test start.

Pony takes a couple goes to start off but once it was running...a quick fidget to get the pinion engaged. Since it was still warm today...gave it maybe 15 seconds of cranking with compression released. Gave it 1/2 throttle and the smoke was good and black. Moved comp release to run. Took a few attempts but finally caught. MAYBE 5 minutes when counting the rope wrapping for the pony. Normally of course will give it a tad longer before starting but this was a test. So I'm a happy camper now!

If used during the "winter" here of course will let the pony run it a little longer but starting shouldn't be an issue again. What was once an opportunity to take up CYRILLIC lessons to then read War and Peace in original Russian...is now the effective "instant".

Thanks for the tips as I went.
    Order of purchase:
    1941 D2 5J CAT - 5J3750

Flip the lever to Run before opening the governor control, and let it run for a few minutes under compression / no fuel. Good job, always good to see something come back to life : ) My D2 5U pony starts so easily summer or winter I don't think I'm going to want to try anyone else's. The diesel though, that's another story but I think it needs a good couple of hours of hard work to tune up the piston rings
    Cheers,
    Neil.

When I first got the CAT I would start it by leaving the release lever in RUN like the PO suggested. Then of course found the "proper way". But I can see how keeping it under compression would help. Helps ensure cylinders are there before fuel is injected and that extra bit of applied compression heat.

Soon here I think I'll re-introduce either diesel or perhaps light oil into the lifter chamber through one of the bolt holes since there was quite a bit in there when I first took off the cover. One poster said it could have been from leak by over the years but that would have required it to be running ALOT and have quite a bit of wear. I think it more likely a PO put just enough diesel...it smelled like OOOOLD diesel when it drained...to keep the plunger//lifter junction at the yoke lubed. Doesn't quite explain the governor compartment though aside from where the rod goes through.
    Order of purchase:
    1941 D2 5J CAT - 5J3750

Quote Originally Posted by RuralTowner View Post
    When I first got the CAT I would start it by leaving the release lever in RUN like the PO suggested. Then of course found the "proper way". But I can see how keeping it under compression would help. Helps ensure cylinders are there before fuel is injected and that extra bit of applied compression heat.

Soon here I think I'll re-introduce either diesel or perhaps light oil into the lifter chamber through one of the bolt holes since there was quite a bit in there when I first took off the cover. One poster said it could have been from leak by over the years but that would have required it to be running ALOT and have quite a bit of wear. I think it more likely a PO put just enough diesel...it smelled like OOOOLD diesel when it drained...to keep the plunger//lifter junction at the yoke lubed. Doesn't quite explain the governor compartment though aside from where the rod goes through.
    RuralTowner, just to make sure you understand what Neil said.. The PO is absolutely incorrect regarding the compression release. This probably relates to your starting problems today.

The fuel should never be on and the valves should not be closed from the gitgo. The proper sequence is: start diesel rotation valves open, when oil pressure is up close valves, take your time (light em up if you have em) then open diesel governor. Turn gas supply off and you're ready to go.
    John Liebermann
    2 9U's, 5J, IHC544, Ford860, (All working farm tractors)
    cojhl2@gmail.com