Thread: D330 oil pump screen questions

Default D330 oil pump screen questions

Hello All
    I am in the process of reassembling a D330 out of a 950 (90A284) to fit into a 944 (43A2589). On reassembly I found a lot of metal in the screen of the 950 engine so I thought I would take a look at the screen out of the 944 which also had metal in the screen but that was to be expected. The issue I have now is the screens are very different. The first photo is out of the 950 and the second is out of the 944. Notice the big difference in the size of the slots. Also photo 3 shows the difference side by side of the mesh and the height. 950 on the left and 944 on the right.

Filter Screen 2.jpgFilter Screen 1.jpgFilter Screen 3.jpg

The 950 engine had extensive bearing damage possibly from oil starvation. Could the smaller ports be a contributor? Not sure which screen to use. According to the parts books both share the same part number. The 944 is older than the 950 but appears to me to have a better designed strainer. The 950 screen bowl also had a large piece of rubber floating around in it which may have contributed to the oil starvation.

Regards

Phil
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator

I doubt it makes any difference which you use as long as you make sure it's clean inside when installed.

I have also found stuff inside suction screens that has no business being there and no logical explanation for its presence other than it was put/left inside when the engine was assembled!
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I don't think it makes any difference which one you use. What is the screen part #?. Just looked at a 955 60A with D330A parts book and number changed from 8H9450 to a later 5S0617. Don't know what the difference is.

Default Suction Screens

Hi Team,
    by my early small Master Index, in early days of the D330A engines there were oil pump mods done to improve gears, shafts, bypass valves and springs, suction bells.
    Oil pressure fluctuations from sticking bypass valves that were updated to overcome sticking problems--alloy suction bells were replaced with cast iron ones to overcome distortion and subsequent oil aeration due to air leaks at the cover, bell and screen face joints. You may need to lap an alloy bell and cover to ensure they are flat before reusing--some Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket No3 sealant on the gaskets may help also.

My best guess for the differing screens is that I would expect the larger screen to be in say a six cylinder engine and also in the turbo charged 4 cylinder 955 engine due to piston cooling jets requiring extra oil flow thru a larger pump--only guessing here remember--
    I would assume later on standardized sized screens were fitted to all engines to save retro fitting a small screen where a larger one was needed---I stand to be corrected.

Do either of your screens have Part Numbers stamped into them ?.
    Personally I would lean towards using the larger screen if it fits the 944 components, unless you are going to rebuild the 955 engine which I feel would need it.
    The larger screen is likely the later version as it has the larger slots and the screen medium is braced by the larger wire cage to stop it bellying out and splitting when it becomes clogged or worn thru by by trash--I have seen this in previously failed engines that were not cleaned out properly.

Cat often changed the form of a part to improve it but the part No stayed the same--sometimes the box the new updated part came in had the change level added after the P/No.
    As an example out of my head 9M5600-01 could today be 9M5600-06 after several updates have been carried out thru a production run.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Hello All
    Thank you very much for the replies and the info. I could not find any part numbers on either screen, I did however find a hole in the screen on the 944 so I will be putting the 950 back in. I cleaned it up and got all the metal shavings out of it and it come up very nicely. Both bells are cast iron with an alloy cover I have installed it now and the sump is back on. Now I can stand the engine up and put the head on.

Regards

Phil
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator