Thread: D4-7U Accidently pumped grease into water pump purge value that looks like Zerk...

Default D4-7U Accidently pumped grease into water pump purge value that looks like Zerk...

On my D4 I accidentally pumped 3 full pumps of grease into the water pump purge valve thinking it was a Zerk as they are shaped very similar. Will this hurt anything or just make a mess of the radiator fluid? It's tractor grease so it is somewhat resistant to water... What should I do?

Run till warm ,add dish soap, run longer, drain and flush many times, look for soap bubbles if none add stop leak, antifreeze, water treatment , and water, look for leaks, have a beer.Don't do it again!!!....WA7OPY

Just run it. As soon as you take the grease gun off that relief, the grease "should have" oozed back out a little. It just provides relief to the chamber containing the two bearings and the two seals. This chamber and those seals only deal with grease. The water seal is a different seal separated by an opening to fresh air via the seep hole. So worst case is you might have pushed some grease out past the seal. Check that the weep hole is open underneath so any seepage from the water seal isn't impeded and you're good to go
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Make sure that the dish soap you use is Cascade or whatever you use in your dishwasher. If you put dawn or joy in there you will have a real mess on your hands.

About a half cup of powdered soap will clean it up.

Neil is right, no chance you pumped grease into the coolant. I have seen several water pumps that had grease zerks installed in place of the purge fitting and the areas behind the fan pulley and in front of the water seal had lots of grease packed in there as evidence of over greasing way beyond an accidental few pumps! One had significant rust and damage to the rear bearing because the weep port between the water seal and the rear bearing and grease seal was apparently closed by dried grease, trapping moisture in that area.

If you do get oil in the coolant, the dishwasher detergent is the way to go. The dawn will work, just hard to get all the foam out.
    Last edited by ccjersey; 06-11-2019 at 06:39 AM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Thank you all for the input and advise. I'll run it a while to see what happens and drain it to see if there is any evidence of grease. If no grease got in the coolant then were would it go? Does anyone have pictures with the pump off by chance?

Grease pushed out the shaft seals will accumulate behind/inside the fan pulley hub and or in the center of the water pump where there is a space between the rear grease seal and the water seal. This cavity has a drain slot cast or cut into the bottom of it so any coolant seepage will run out down the front of the engine before it can get against the grease seal.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Talley, I do not know how to attach a link to a thread but if you do a search for a thread titled "D47U Water Pump Leak" there are some pictures that may help. I rebuilt my pump and Neil is completely correct with the info he posted.

Bruce

You could probably hide a tube of grease behind the hub and in the cavity between the bearings and the water seal. Just make sure that the weep hole is open and dig any grease that's easy to get out from that hole and don't worry about it
    Cheers,
    Neil.