Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to adjust idle speed on the governor of AR29 D4

Default How to adjust idle speed on the governor of AR29 D4

Resized_20180428_082344(4).jpgResized_Resized_20180428_074146001.jpg
    I'm after some help with the governor on my 1958 model D4, The spline that the throttle attachs to on the governor was loose in the housing so I pulled the face plate off and found that the tang was loose from wear, so I had it built up by the local fabrication shop and put it back together, now the engine is revving harder and won't shut down when I back off the throttle lever, so I'm after some help to idle the engine down and have it shut down when I throttle down....
    Tia...Don
    Last edited by Bohunter; 06-23-2019 at 08:37 PM.

You need to get into the governor section and check out if the shut off assembly slide is working (moving) to the shut off position. If (when) everying is working you can adjust the low idle and high idle screws. Has nothing to do with the governor ratchet mechanism which is for holding throttle position.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    You need to get into the governor section and check out if the shut off assembly slide is working (moving) to the shut off position. If (when) everying is working you can adjust the low idle and high idle screws. Has nothing to do with the governor ratchet mechanism which is for holding throttle position.
    Thank you for responding, but to clear up a few details for me, How and where do I get into the gover to find the shut off slide ??? And then where do I find these idle screws ???

Your going to need a Service Manual and Parts Manual covering the s/n of your D4.
    Access is through the back of the governor once cover is removed. The shut off slide is in behind the governor spring. Adjustment screws are under that oblong/oval shaped cover on top of the governor.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Your going to need a Service Manual and Parts Manual covering the s/n of your D4.
    Access is through the back of the governor once cover is removed. The shut off slide is in behind the governor spring. Adjustment screws are under that oblong/oval shaped cover on top of the governor.
    I'm familiar with the oblong/oval shape cover on the top to get to the idle adjustment screw,although I haven't had it off yet, but the cover on the back of the governor is another matter...it was shutting down before I had the dog built up by the fabrication shop, so I'll try idling it down first before I go looking for the shut off slide...
    Thanks for shedding light on this subject for me it's ever so much appreciated...

Are you sure you got the lever indexed properly so you don't run out of travel before activating the idle/stop? Idle adjustment screw is the one on the left (forward) facing the governor. Clockwise to lower the idle speed.

I disconnected the lever and used the lever on the spline to check the travel went all the way but it won't shut down and it's idling too fast, all because I had the dog built up by the local fabrication shop to take the slop out of everything....that's when the idle speed and the shut down problems began

So you built up the male part of the tang. What does the female end of the governor shaft look like that engages the tang?

The Female end was fine, it's a very snug fit now between the tang and the female....but as you can see from my original photo it was in a bad way, and you could feel it all the way back to the throttle lever that's why I had it built up to get rid of all the slack now it's as tight as a fish's bum....

I have managed to get the idling down by removing the oblong cover on the top of the governor and screwing down the front idling screw to an acceptable level...
    Now I have to work out where this shut off slide is located and the shut off spring to inspect them to see if it's functioning or not...