Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 22 flywheel question?

Default Cat 22 flywheel question?

I suspect it has been asked before, but I didnt have any luck with the search feature (I rarely do). Is the later 22 flywheel interchangable with the very early flywheel? My 22 is just over serial #300 and I remember something about the early ones having a thinner flywheel. I want to put a ring gear on the flywheel for electric start and I would like to buy a second flywheel to have it surfaced, the ring gear installed and have a new clutch disk and throwout bearing ready to put back on as quick as possible. I cant find in my limited books, what serial number the flywheels changed or if it even matters. Any knowledge out in Cat Land????? Thanks, Grant

Quote Originally Posted by GrantJ View Post
    ............ Is the later 22 flywheel interchangable with the very early flywheel? My 22 is just over serial #300 and I remember something about the early ones having a thinner flywheel. ......... I cant find in my limited books, what serial number the flywheels changed or if it even matters. Any knowledge out in Cat Land????? Thanks, Grant
    Grant, my parts manual shows the diagram of the flywheel for 2F1 through 2F811 to be much thinner than later serial numbers. There is even a part number change for the thin flywheel at 2F558 through 2F811.

FYI: My later model 22s' flywheels measure 3 3/4 inch thick and weight about 140# apiece.

Pete

1936 Cat 22 2F6559W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6499W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6223W
    1937 Cat 22 1J2921W
    1944 JD Lindeman
    1950 Farmall Cub

The flywheel by itself, does not look like it would interchange, you might be able to do it, but would have to use the complete flywheel/clutch assembly. Not sure if it would work, you would really have to have them both to compare, but both types use the same crankshaft, transmission input shaft, transmission case and clutch throw out yoke.

What Starter are you planning on using?

Thanks for the info. I have a half dozen Cat starters on my shelf, and my brother tells me that he bought one of them for the 22. I will have to figure out which one. I also have in one of my books the Ford diesel ring gear that is supposed to work. This is one of the reasons that I want to do most of the work before I take the tractor apart. I dont want to take it apart and get stumped on something. I will remove the starter cover and see if I can measure the thickness of the existing flywheel and then I will have something to check other flywheels before I buy. Thanks Guys. Grant.

In looking for more info, I ran across another (old) forum that someone had listed the specs for the 22 ring gear. 118 tooth, 15 inch OD, 13.49 ID, 3/4 inch thick, double lead in on teeth. Since it came from the internet, these measurements are suspect. Would anyone with a flywheel available be able to measure the OD? I suspect the .010 less than 14 inch would be for a press fit. I am looking for my notes on the Ford starter ring but have not run across them yet. If I find more info I will post it. A measurement from one of the group would help confirm the measurements. Thanks, Grant.

Default Ring Gear that will work

If you want to machine the 22 flywheel to accept an aftermarket ring gear you can use NAPA #600-3035. It's a ring gear off a 1975 Ford f-350 with a 390 motor.

You can buy a starter with part number 4162S from Amazon or NAPA.

That will all match up if you make an adapter plate for the starter.

I had two tractors with that set up and they worked fine.

You can check with Chad at Antique Crawler Parts. He knows how to put it together.

Good luck. It sure beats cranking!

My take on this is if the engine is in correct tune, cranking is no problem because it will start with 2-4 pulls on the crank handle. If it doesn't, then you should tune up your engine. Not starting using the hand crank is a good way to find out if your engine is in good shape, and if you have good feel for how much fuel to supply under different starting conditions.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    My take on this is if the engine is in correct tune, cranking is no problem because it will start with 2-4 pulls on the crank handle. If it doesn't, then you should tune up your engine. Not starting using the hand crank is a good way to find out if your engine is in good shape, and if you have good feel for how much fuel to supply under different starting conditions.
    Neil, don't you know that you only tune up after the battery is run flat from trying to start.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Chugwater, Thank You. I will be checking it out at my local NAPA tomorrow. Now that I am in my 70s, I dont need to prove anything anymore. Electric start will be wonderful. Thanks To All. Grant.