Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of D2 Pony Questions

Default Couple of D2 Pony Questions

While trying to start the pony on my D2 4U last weekend, it was slow to crank, and appeared the battery needed to be charged. The battery is a fairly new (less than 6 months) 6 volt. I put it on charge during the week, and yesterday it still was cranking slow. I opened the petcock on the right cylinder and oil came out. I also realized I forgot to shut the gas valve off last weekend, so I expect there was gas in the oil. I was unable to find the drain for the pony motor oil, and finally determined that a previous owner had removed the drain tube and replaced it with a blank plate, homemade gasket, and sealer. I was able to get the oil drained and replaced the metal plate. My questions are:

1) Could my cranking problem be a result of a tired electric starting motor? Wonder if it needs new brushes, etc. The bendix has been kicking out quite often, resulting in several tries before it finally fires off.
    2) Does it sound like I need to pull the pony and rebuild? It has been burning oil recently.
    3) Is the pony motor oil drain tube a hard to find part? My parts book shows the number to be 8B2727. I haven't tried looking for it yet, but will in the next couple of days.

--my electric starter got tired and would hardly turn the pony over, so i sent it out to get rebuilt and works great now-but make sure your connections are super clean
    Try the ATF/OIlL treatment to clean the rings out and the drain tube should be fairly common
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Second what Dan wrote - your battery cables need to be in good order and all connections bright and tight. The shorter the cables the better. I run 2/0 on mine and it spins the pony over no problem (haven't rebuilt my starter but it looks like it's had a hard life)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

if you don't have lights put a 12 volt battery in it and run it , my dad did it 40 years ago not a problem

12 volt is the only way to go.
    D-4 7U-43159 with 4S dozer and Cat 40 scraper, D-7 3T-1179 with Cat 7S hydraulic dozer, D-7 17A 13,944, D-8 14A-1160 with Cat 8S cable dozer, Cat 12-99E-4433 Grader. All runners and users.

Default Dry Bores

Hi Team,
    it could be that the gas diluted oil has washed the bores and rings dry and so are now dragging somewhat.

Now you have refilled the pony sump with good oil you may need to give the pony a few swift pulls thru with a starting rope to splash the oil about so as to re-oil the bores.

Another thing is that old gas can turn to tar as it was being consumed the last time the engine ran and now the tarry goop is dragging on the pistons, rings and bores until you get the heads of at least and clean and re-oil the bores.
    The valves and guides can also become sticky with the tarry substance and hang open.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Default Thanks

Good advice all. I think I'm going to try to find the drain tube before I refill with oil, then I'll make sure the connections are clean and give it a pull with the rope. As I mentioned, it does burn oil pretty bad, so wondering if I need a ring job. Noticeable amount of blue smoke when it's running.

Another question...I keep it under a tarp, and apparently a nice home for wasps. A few fly out when I pull the tarp and I'll see one or two flying around, and in and out. I've tried to see where they're going but they disappear into the shade, so it's hard to see if there's a nest in there. I keep the wasp spray nearby. I'm assuming if there's a nest in there, they would let me know. I'm sure this happens a lot with old equipment that doesn't get used much. Anyone have any suggestions with how to get rid of them when you can't see them?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Yellow1 View Post
    Good advice all. I think I'm going to try to find the drain tube before I refill with oil, then I'll make sure the connections are clean and give it a pull with the rope. As I mentioned, it does burn oil pretty bad, so wondering if I need a ring job. Noticeable amount of blue smoke when it's running.

Another question...I keep it under a tarp, and apparently a nice home for wasps. A few fly out when I pull the tarp and I'll see one or two flying around, and in and out. I've tried to see where they're going but they disappear into the shade, so it's hard to see if there's a nest in there. I keep the wasp spray nearby. I'm assuming if there's a nest in there, they would let me know. I'm sure this happens a lot with old equipment that doesn't get used much. Anyone have any suggestions with how to get rid of them when you can't see them?
    Before you tear the engine down for a ring job, you might hook it to a good pull and work the snot out of it for a few hours. When they idle to much and never get up to a good warm temp under load they slobber and rings can get sticky and fowl things up. No harm in working it, that is what it was made for. You are out nothing by trying.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Default Pony Gas Diluted Oil

Hi Team,
    another thing with gas diluted oil in the pony is they get hard to start as they seem to lose ability to pull in fuel mixture and compression drops too.
    In my experience the first usual sign of gas diluted oil is hard starting along with blue smoke from burning the thinned oil.

Some straight 30 weight engine oil might just revive it as they were designed to be run on this--ambient temperature dependent of course.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

oih - it's the pony that I'm having the problem with, not the diesel. The diesel runs fine.

edb - those are the symptoms. With the way the pony motor drain was sealed up, no telling when the last time it was changed. As soon as I can get the replacment drain, I'm going to put a quart of 30w and see what happens.

Thanks everyone.