Thread: Cat 12 8T

Default Cat 12 8T

When I purchased my 8T it had a chain around the front axle and hooked to the circle Drawbar. Found out why.
    The pivot ball had unscrewed from the threaded mount in the circle frame.
    I have gotten it threaded back in but have a couple questions. Could not find any information pertaining to this.
    How much space do I leave between the ball and circle frame. Does it use a key in one of the 3 keyways that are cut? Mine had a 1/8" plate up into the keyway and the cross bolt through it to keep it there. Surely not the width of the keyway.
    Apparently from lack of grease, it bent the 1/8" and began unscrewing with up and down blade movement.
    Can someone enlighten me as to what I should do. Besides grease it.

Default How Much????????????

Hi, fishnhuntr.
    I have never had one of those draught balls out but my understanding is that you screw them up tight to the draught frame and then lock up the clamp bolt(s). The collar between the thread and ball is supposed to be tight up against the draught frame to help stop any shock load bending of the thread.

If the ball was locking up in the socket, I doubt it would be lack of grease, although that may have been a contributing factor. I think it may be more likely that somebody took out too many shims from the collar that holds the draught ball in the socket and caused it to lock up on the ball. Always 'ass-yew-ming'of course that we are talking about the same parts.

Photos help a lot when posting and answering questions like this.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, fishnhuntr.
    I have never had one of those draught balls out but my understanding is that you screw them up tight to the draught frame and then lock up the clamp bolt(s). The collar between the thread and ball is supposed to be tight up against the draught frame to help stop any shock load bending of the thread.

If the ball was locking up in the socket, I doubt it would be lack of grease, although that may have been a contributing factor. I think it may be more likely that somebody took out too many shims from the collar that holds the draught ball in the socket and caused it to lock up on the ball. Always 'ass-yew-ming'of course that we are talking about the same parts.

Photos help a lot when posting and answering questions like this.

Just my 0.02.
    Thanks for the reply
    Will try to attach photos
    The key ways in the threaded end of the ball are about 3/16" wide without measuring. There is no key in there. Instead a piece of 1/8" plate.
    I plan to use whichever size plate 3/16 or 1/4" to fit the key way After I tighten the ball as suggested -- right against the frame.
    Does not appear to be any visible shims.
    I will check tightness of the ball in the socket when I tighten the ball into the thread more.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your right, not much info out there. Apparently there is a bolt and lock for the pivot bolt assuming to hold position once tightened. Did find this in a later model service manual.
    Check circle drawbar and socket adjustment the following way.....

Lift the blade, then put a bar between the drawbar and the ball socket. Push the drawbar away from the socket, then remove the bar. Measure the clearance between the ball and the cap. Use shims as needed to get a clearance no greater than 0.062".

If the ball has been running loose for some time the threads may be worn to the point where the normal lock may not hold irregardless of adjustment. I hate to suggest it but may be time to get out the welder.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Your right, not much info out there. Apparently there is a bolt and lock for the pivot bolt assuming to hold position once tightened. Did find this in a later model service manual.
    Check circle drawbar and socket adjustment the following way.....

Lift the blade, then put a bar between the drawbar and the ball socket. Push the drawbar away from the socket, then remove the bar. Measure the clearance between the ball and the cap. Use shims as needed to get a clearance no greater than 0.062".

If the ball has been running loose for some time the threads may be worn to the point where the normal lock may not hold irregardless of adjustment. I hate to suggest it but may be time to get out the welder.
    The welder was my last choice haha
    Will try the thicker keyway material first and keep an eye on it.
    Appreciate the help. Thanks Dick out Montana way

Default 8B8282 Circle Drawbar/A Frame Ballstud Lock

Hi Team,
    from memory the said lock is a Tombstone shaped washer, with a bolt hole in it for the clamp bolt to pass thru, also I think it needs to be slightly thinner than the split gap for clamping the ballstud bolt thread in the end of the drawbar/A frame so it does not impede clamping the ballstud bolt thread.
    I would expect the lock is available at a Dealer or used parts supply house.

OM has given the later Manual adjustment procedure for the ball in the socket cap.
    Sometimes we used to machine some off the flat mount face of the cap if the joint was still loose with no shims fitted.

For the Ballstud lock groove setting I would suggest using only one thick shim washer to set the Ballstud lock groove position as thin shims seem to fail, walk out, under vibrating loads.
    Work out the spacer shim dimension with thin shims with the ballstud tight --remove, measure and machine a suitable thickness spacer shim.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Last edited by edb; 08-17-2019 at 03:15 AM.