2019 Gone Farmin' Fall Premier Auction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #&^$#*^$% Hail Storm

Thumbs down #&^$#*^$% Hail Storm

We got one heck of a hail storm in NW KS day before yesterday with baseball sized hail that punched out all 4 windows on the north side of the house, punched holes in the ridge skylight in the machine shed and busted windows in vehicles. No one hurt thank goodness. Corn crop is toast.

It got my 112 Grader (1949) and busted all the front glass in it. Any ideas if anyone has old ones laying around for replacements or any other ideas? The glass does not have to be perfect but no cracks and able to see through reasonably well. Naturally the 112 was facing right into the teeth of the storm!!

Thanks for any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D4Jim
    D47U (1950), 3U 112 Grader (1949), Cat 40 Scraper ACMOC Member 19 years

Easy repair at a glass shop. The frames just have screws holding them together. Replaced all the glass in the #12 when it was acquired.

Default Need a Big ROPS!

Sure glad to hear no one hurt!
    Can not imagine hail that size and anyone getting through without damage or injury to people/livestock.
    Sorry for the loss of the crop - hope it was insured.
    CTS

Default Glass

Quote Originally Posted by kracked1 View Post
    Easy repair at a glass shop. The frames just have screws holding them together. Replaced all the glass in the #12 when it was acquired.
    We only have one glass shop and they told me today they had to special order them as they are safety glass and have to be made to size and not cut. Won't get a price until next week but maybe the guy is not being entirely truthful with me? He led me to believe it would not be cheap. Thanks for the tip.
    D4Jim

Default Safety Glass

Seems like maybe shop is talking "tempered glass" like a shower door and not "safety glass" with the plastic layer between the glass as in a windshield of an automobile?
    I know you can not cut "tempered glass" - the kind that breaks into a jillion pieces of cube like shards.

My uncle made cabs for combines ( days of JD 105 RC's and IHC 181's), cut his own glass, used a fluid and razor blade to cut the plastic after scoring the glass with glass cutter. I think had to score both sides before breaking, then cut the plastic membrane.

Maybe do some research or someone here will chime in with more experience and information.

cts

Default Different types of glass

Quote Originally Posted by ctsnowfighter View Post
    Seems like maybe shop is talking "tempered glass" like a shower door and not "safety glass" with the plastic layer between the glass as in a windshield of an automobile?
    I know you can not cut "tempered glass" - the kind that breaks into a jillion pieces of cube like shards.

My uncle made cabs for combines ( days of JD 105 RC's and IHC 181's), cut his own glass, used a fluid and razor blade to cut the plastic after scoring the glass with glass cutter. I think had to score both sides before breaking, then cut the plastic membrane.

Maybe do some research or someone here will chime in with more experience and information.

cts
    CTS, you hit on something about the different types of glass. I have a small topper on one pickup and the back window/door on it shattered into a zillion pieces like sand. It appears the hail storm had no favorites as it broke safety glass, tempered glass and plain old window panes. Thanks!
    D4Jim

What most of us call safety glass is actually laminated and comes in standard size sheets of various thickness and is normally cut to fit on site. Rounded corners can even be sanded to shape if the cut is not perfect. It sounds like he is proposing tempered glass which was never used nor would it be very desirable in these old machines. Tempered safety glass is fired in its final shape and brakes into a million pieces when it is broke. My 212 has laminated glass in it and is factory as far as I know. One is cracked on one side of the lamination but has not deteriorated from that one crack.

Good examples are, Your car windshield is laminated and holds together when clobbered by a turkey at 70 MPH.
    Your side and back windows in your car are tempered safety glass and will break into a million pieces when hit by a sharp object or a rock thrown at you by a jealous husband.
    Hope this explains it.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Default Cutting glass

G'day. In the 80's when I was an apprentice at a dealership, when a flat type glass in a cab needed replacing the nearby windscreen company would come and make a template in cardboard, go back to their workshop and cut the glass then come back and fit. I don't know exactly what type of glass it was
    Kevin

most any glass shop can cut laminated glass, I broke the front window in my trackhoe and went local glass shop and he made me a new one reasonably priced

The answer to the type of glass you need to use is in your photo, the panels have not shattered into a zillion pieces, they look like laminated panels to me, and that is what you should use to replace them. Just the observations of a grumpy old fart that is not very smart.

Wombat