Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13A pros or cons anyone?

Default 13A pros or cons anyone?

Asking for a friend(tee hee &#128540
    Another opportunity arose, this time a 13A. I donít know anything about them. Could anyone tell me the good or bad on these units? What would be a fair price for one with dozer, ROPS and drawbar? Operating weight? Interchangeable parts with other models?
    Thanks in advance. JM

Default Read 2U.

Hi, Juiceman.
    The 13As had a pretty solid reputation, although they were only produced for about 2 years from 1953 to 1955, between the 2U and the 14A. The 13A was/is basically an up-rated 2U with the horsepower going from the 2U's rating of 130 hp to 160 hp in the 13A.

As I understand it, most parts will interchange between the 2 models. Others with more knowledge - and more reference books - may well come along soon to blow me outa the water.

Funny thing is, as near as we can tell, the stretched SD8 LGPs like Mary Ann and Rebecca were being built for the Antarctic and Greenland during the production run of the 13As and yet they were based on the 14A model which succeeded the 13A in 1955.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

As I understand it 2U3532-up is pretty much the same as the 13A series except the rpm and rack settings went from 149hp (130 drawbar hp) at 1000 rpm full load and a 0.440 rack setting to
    180hp (150 drawbar hp) at 1200 rpm and a 0.475" rack setting.
    A move to extend the service of the 2U as the 14A's weren't quite ready.
    Total production of 13A's was 3,703 units.
    Last edited by Old Magnet; 08-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Jeff Huff the owner of the 13A called me this morning to answer a few of my questions. I told Jeff of this thread and ha asked me to post his cell number so you can call with any questions.

Jeff can be reached at five 85 72 one-seven 929.
    BEST TRACKLAYERS ARE #1

JM, the 13A in Jeff Huff's auction has a hard nose and a #24 CCU on the front. If someone can confirm, I think the front CCU was available with the advent of the hardnose. 2Us would run the cable for the front blade from the rear CCU. Since you're an ag guy : ), none of this matters. So, basically a 2U with more oomph (which is what ag guys like : )

You would definitely like Jeff's Seventy - it's also 2U-ish but with a 4 cyl gas engine : )
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Does this 13A have both #24 & #25 CCU's or are they running the ripper off the #24?. Is that tall mast visible above the cab part of the cable operation?

Has both CCUs. Mast above the cab is the boom of the side-boom D8 parked further back
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Default SN

Whatís the SN of the13A?

Kelly
    Old Caterpillar Watch Fob.

Without history, a society shares no common memory of where it has been, of what its core values are, or what decisions in the past account for the present circumstances.

118 .
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Default 13A sold

I see the 13A sold for $3,225.00 thatís about what itís worth. It needs a set of tracks and with that low Sn 118 that was before the reinforced bevel gear case, those early bevel gear cases were prone to crack, so good luck with that.

Caterpillar later reinforced them as well as having the reinforcing bars that ran through the case from back to front, which I noticed this tractor didnít have.

It a pears to me at least, the tractor stills has the 22Ē pull on the steering clutch levels instad of the 12Ē pull which came out in early or late 1954. l note the bubble tank (larger fuel tank on the side of the deck) never came out until tractor SN/ 13A 959-----so could have been a add on at a later date.

Hope everything works out for one that got it.

Kelly
    Old Caterpillar Watch Fob.

Without history, a society shares no common memory of where it has been, of what its core values are, or what decisions in the past account for the present circumstances.