2019 Gone Farmin' Fall Premier Auction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: low on power, injection pump worth rebuilding?

Gonna open up tank tomorrow and see if Napa has a filter I've got good flow from main tank and fuel pressure gauge shows good

A new machine to me, (d318 in a 12 8t) had 2 cylinders that were lacking. Most things that were worked on , on this machine were screwed up. I adjusted the timing on all the injector pumps. I found the pumps for the 2 lacking cylinders to be timed very late. The other 4 were late also. Had much more power after the adjustment.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T6995 running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438

OK pulled the fuel filters and pumped out housing(didn't know where drain was), not really seeing anything, can't imagine those four filters being plugged to the point where it starves the machine for fuel, anything else I should look for in there?

Injector timing is on my short list too need to get a service manual......

pictures below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MiquxuftiebqTLFd6

Not to be stepping on anybody's toes,but has this machine been sitting long,how many hours have you run it.

Stepping out on the end of the limb here,but with the climate in your area I am guessing the filter pictured is about as full of water as it can hold. With modern fuel being what it is,I think there will be more pump troubles going forward than(in general,not your machine in particular) in the past. No clue how much gumming up of the pumps will improve with running but it is the cheap easy thing to give it time.

I would probably use a additive in fuel and hope it helps.

Not to derail this discussion I would be interested in what others thoughts are on this will start a thread.

And as others have seen they do run, but in many cases can run better with a little tuning but far short of a pump rebuild. But that may be a job above the pay grade for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by haywood View Post
    OK pulled the fuel filters and pumped out housing(didn't know where drain was), not really seeing anything, can't imagine those four filters being plugged to the point where it starves the machine for fuel, anything else I should look for in there?

Injector timing is on my short list too need to get a service manual......

pictures below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MiquxuftiebqTLFd6
    Drain is down below the hr meter. Takes 3/4 wrench. Doesn't hurt to open it occasionally to drain water and sludge.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T6995 running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438

Quote Originally Posted by Ray54 View Post
    Not to be stepping on anybody's toes,but has this machine been sitting long,how many hours have you run it.

Stepping out on the end of the limb here,but with the climate in your area I am guessing the filter pictured is about as full of water as it can hold. With modern fuel being what it is,I think there will be more pump troubles going forward than(in general,not your machine in particular) in the past. No clue how much gumming up of the pumps will improve with running but it is the cheap easy thing to give it time.

I would probably use a additive in fuel and hope it helps.

Not to derail this discussion I would be interested in what others thoughts are on this will start a thread.

And as others have seen they do run, but in many cases can run better with a little tuning but far short of a pump rebuild. But that may be a job above the pay grade for some of us.
    Ran one full tank till it sputtered, then part on another,
    On my second tank of fuel have been dumping sea foam and some banned on 50 states carbon cleaner, prolly put 20? Hours on machine

Quote Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
    Drain is down below the hr meter. Takes 3/4 wrench. Doesn't hurt to open it occasionally to drain water and sludge.
    Thanks will drain and rinse

Dunno if I was clear on the additive but it was really threw on the first tank it was a high power carbon cleaner

Engines that need rebuilding usually make a lot of blackish smoke under load and have lots of blow-by coming out the crankcase breather. If you have a puffing sort of flow from the crankcase breather, suspect a damaged piston.

That said, if the governor were not responding well, you would get somewhat similar results. A good governor will respond when you are maneuvering at low rpm setting and hit the brake to turn etc
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Check the air cleaner intake and exhaust manifold openings.
    Attached Images Attached Images