Thread: 9U D6 Tracks binding up.

Default 9U D6 Tracks binding up.

The 9U D6 I traded for has fairly new track chains and bottom rollers. New as to have only cleared about 80 acres of timber. At the same time it got weld on sprockets so the undercarriage is in really good shape. To my knowledge these are sealed for life chains and bottom rollers. This machine has set for a long time and the chains have bound up. I have run this thing for a while and the chains still are bound up. Rough riding as can be. Is there a secret to freeing up these tracks? They are so tight because of the binding the tractor can hardly turn the tracks. bboaz

20190919_095744.jpg20190919_095803.jpg20190919_095750.jpg

Default Just need work

Diesel on them will likely get them moving ,, sump oil ,, or if you have a shallow water in creek ! . I would keep oily diesel on those pins and bushes ..until they free up !!

Shallow creek with a solid bottom near by? take her for an hour swim.

Arenít those SALT tracks with the dimple in the middle of the pins? If so, wonít it be hard getting lube in there to loosen up the tracks?

Those are sealed tracks (mechanical seal) not sealed and lubricated (which would have a plug in each pin).

I put new Berco chains on a 9u in 83,2 or 3 links on each side like your's dealer told me to run them. Better than a year still not flexing. Had piece of air ducting and tractor on a bank got the offending links soaking in diesel all summer. Then with BFH it would move,but still did not freed up. At the end of the next planting season they went back the dealer that sold them and he push all the pins and bushing out buffed the rusty ones and put it back together.

Dealer never suggested the water bath, but after the fact I did find out about the water bath. Some had more success than others with the water bath. If you have a place to soak it nothing to lose compared to the work of pressing pins and bushings.

The double edged sword of good parts that just sit. So if soaking in water loosens them then you have the problem it needs run so they don't just rust again.

Default Bound up tracks

I've been oiling (kano and oil) and running the tracks slowly to work them and they seem to be getting better, so maybe with time and lots'a patience we will work out the kinks. Don't have a creek for the water bath. I would think the oil would last longer as it would not evaporate away as easily as the the water would leaving he pre-existing condition of bound up rust. When you talk about a mechanical seal I assume that is just the tolerance left between the pins and bushing that creates the seal so it is like a shaft turning slowly in a steel bearing that cannot be lubricated and exposed to the weather. A sure condition that it is going to bind up.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. bboaz

Seals are actually two beveled spring washers back to back. Here's a picture of the master pin arrangement which has the same seals as the regular links.
    Attached Images Attached Images