Default scraper size

What capacity does this look to be?
    Would it be too much for d47u?
    Cat D47U
    Allis Chalmers HD3
    No more JD 1010, IH T340

Default Guesswork???????????????

Hi, nomorejohndeere.
    I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say around 5 - 6 cu. yards heaped. If I am correct, I think it would certainly be at the TOP of the 7U D4's capability range, if not a little over it. But it would still move dirt quicker than your average man with a wheelbarrow. LOL.

That said though, different scrapers have different loading characteristics and some require a fair bit more horsepower and traction to load than others of the same capacity. F'rinstance, almost all of the Letourneau drawn cable scrapers that I ever operated loaded easier than their equivalent Cat counterparts. Cutting edge angle and placement and weight distribution have a lot to do with that, as does bowl shape, length and height. It is easier to push dirt back in a longer bowl than it is to push it up in a higher one.

Also, a crawler of around say 40 - 45 horsepower and maybe 5 - 6 tons weight will do the same work that would require 60-plus horsepower and maybe 8 - 9 tons weight in a wheel tractor.

Just my 0.02. Hope it helps.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Confused

I know nothing about capacity or horsepower to load,but another consideration is tongue weight.

Back when my dad started farming he pulled a JD sidehill combine (look up Bruce's play day for comparable) with a D4. To much tongue weight and took the final drives out in one season. For most work Cat crawler tractors do no problem. But Cat never engineered with the idea of tongue weight. Back in 1980 when the D8 L high track was new local BTO tried no till planting with a grain drill that carried about 20 ton of seed and fertilizer. Lucky for them they rented the D8 cause the 8 did not like the tongue weight ether,smoked rollers weekly. There were several of the same drills around on big Stigers that could carry the tongue weight, but would not stay on a sidehill like the D8. But the way the big planting riggs have gone to 4 wheel trailer maybe the wheel tractors were not that happy ether.

Depending on how the critter loads (that boil of dirt at the back,see Deas I listen a little ) it may not transfer that much weight to the front that fast. And when the real capacity is calculated it may not be that big of load.

Maybe a good idea to stick with a dolly wheel type and let it take all the weight.......

It's close and cheep compared to most so I got all excited for a minute or two

I've always thought the size of scrapers were big compared to what pulls them
    Cat D47U
    Allis Chalmers HD3
    No more JD 1010, IH T340

i have a D4 2T attached to a 4 yard LC carrimor. the wheels are just behind center of gravity and the rest is on the tongue. this little scraper fits the 2T just fine and as it loads the traction increases just about right. so as it looks to me i would guess that the scraper you have in the pics would fit a D47U ok. but something you should consider is the hydraulic pressure and flow requirements to operate that scraper. also how many hyd remotes does it need to operate?
    D4 6U,1943 D4 2T,Laplant Choate C41 Carrimor Scraper

Default Weight distribution?

Hi, nomorejohndeere.
    That scraper would throw a lot of weight onto the tractor drawbar. If it doesn't run into too many dollars for you or too big an investment in time, you could always make up your dolly wheel arrangement by arching that tow bar into a gooseneck.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

That scraper is designed for a wheel tractor.......as others have pointed out, tongue weight/down pressure increases as draft load increases.........just what that kind of tractor usually needs.

The dolly wheel scrapers work great on track tractors that usually already have enough weight to deliver a good % of their potential power before losing traction. An exception might be some of the original hotrod scraper pushers that had higher hp and needed more weight to utilize it. An additional concern would be turning tight with a track tractor where the dolly really helps out vs the direct hitch. My ROME disk harrow has a bent tongue from the last time it was pulled with a dozer.

I have a 4 yard Laplant Choate dolly wheel type ejector scraper and I can only really use it with about 150+ hp 2WD tractors just because of the traction problem. I get a lot more done with a MFWD 200+ hp tractor that is dualed up and weighted for high draft. That's when the comparison between scraper designs becomes absurd! With the typical Reynolds/JD rear wheel scraper design, that same tractor would handle a 12-14 yard model!
    Last edited by ccjersey; 09-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8PQ1_QCmGA

here is a good vid of a D4 and scraper. Thanks JBERND
    D4 6U,1943 D4 2T,Laplant Choate C41 Carrimor Scraper

Thanks guys
    I clicked the for sale window closed.
    Maybe someday one will come up close by that is what I can use
    Only seen one in last few years, hooked to a d4, but wouldn't separate.....

He said $1,500 or so if anybody is looking
    Cat D47U
    Allis Chalmers HD3
    No more JD 1010, IH T340