Thread: more Cat 22 flywheel questions from another owner

Default more Cat 22 flywheel questions from another owner

I have an original Cat 22 flywheel with the 118 tooth ring gear and, if I cannot locate an original Cat 22 starter, I am going to have a flywheel machined to accept an aftermarket ring gear.

The answer to this question might depend on the machine shop capabilities but before I load it and drive 100+ miles, I would like to know if the eight pins that hold the pressure plate have to be removed to do the machining?

If they have to be removed, how can I do it?

20191213_103057.jpg

I have three used pilot bearings but I can't find a number on them. Does anyone have a number that I might use when I go to the parts store or to Caterpillar (which is in another town)?

I'm guessing that a pilot bearing comes with an outer race? How have any of you removed the outer race? How should I lubricate the bearing upon assembly?

20191212_191344.jpg

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    Pete
    Last edited by Peter C; 12-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.

1936 Cat 22 2F6559W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6499W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6223W
    1937 Cat 22 1J2921W
    1944 JD Lindeman
    1950 Farmall Cub

If you go back to the thread that I started on the 22 flywheel, there are some photos of a machined flywheel. It looks to me that the lathe tool would come at it from the back and the studs would not interfere. The ring gear and the starter are easy to buy from Napa or the internet but I have been having a hell of a time buying the adapter to mount the starter motor. The flywheel can be machined for a press fit for the ring gear but I dont think you should do the spot welding until you can assemble the whole thing and see if the teeth engagement is correct. You might need to move the ring gear in or out for proper engagement before the welding. Where have you bought a starter motor adapter plate? That is what is holding me up on doing mine. Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantJ View Post
    ........................Where have you bought a starter motor adapter plate? That is what is holding me up on doing mine. Grant.
    Grant, I am going to "design" my own adapter after I get the ring gear mounted. I can design the adapter the thickness necessary for proper engagement of the starter gear to the ring gear. I'll probably make the prototype out of hard maple so that I can drill somewhat precise holes to test fit everything and check for engagement. I did something similar but much simpler awhile back and took it to a shop that enters the dimensions into a CNC laser cutter. The results were very good. This adapter may take several attempts to get it correct though. I'll post my results when I'm done.

Pete

1936 Cat 22 2F6559W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6499W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6223W
    1937 Cat 22 1J2921W
    1944 JD Lindeman
    1950 Farmall Cub

Peter, Thank you. I think that these will be important for the group. There are lots of 22s and many of us are getting a little long in the tooth for hand cranking. I have a dual reason, since I am going to mount a front hydraulic pump for the blade set up that I am waiting to install. I dont envy people that have to crank between the radiator and the blade. Please let me know when you have these ready? Grant.

I just looked thru the parts manual and I am surprised that there are no numbers for the pilot bearing. I am going to a Cat Club meeting Tuesday night and will try to get information on a local guy that is supposed to have a couple of dozen 22s. My brother sold him 2F19 several years ago, but lost his contact info. He might have some advice on pilot bearings. If I find anything out, I will post here. Grant.

Attached are a couple photos that might help you out.

There was an article in the ACMOC magazine detailing how to do this a couple years ago.

The little 22 in the photo had the conversion that you are attempting and a dozer blade that ran the pump off the front generator location.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter C, the pilot bearing is 1B3738 assem. which is 1B3739 roller and 1B3740.

Here is something that also may be of interest. Here is the starter adapter that I am working on to put a JD B starter on a 22.
    R2 starter adapter 001.jpg

R2 starter adapter 009.jpg

I had a friend of mine wire EDM the piece of plate which is 1" thk. to space the starter pinion out correctly. We will see if the numbers are correct later.

Good luck!
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP

HFDZL, that adapter is interesting. I just got off of the phone with a nice older fellow from Colorado that had made up some adapters, but doesnt do it any more. He also made his 1 inch thick but the photos that have been posted on this and the other thread seem to show an adapter that is much thinner. He said that he used a starter motor from an International Scout. I suspect that the wheel has been re-invented many times for these old machines. Thanks for the pilot bearing numbers. I appreciate all the help from this forum. Grant

Default starter adapters

Chugwater

Thanks for the pictures. I like the 22.

HFDZL, interesting adapter. Always helps to see how others solve problems.

Thanks
    Pete

1936 Cat 22 2F6559W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6499W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6223W
    1937 Cat 22 1J2921W
    1944 JD Lindeman
    1950 Farmall Cub