Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D42T Governor / Fuel Tranfer Housing

I have parts books 7Jxxxx, 2Txxxx, 5T1 through 5T7411 and don't see the parts reference 7B5564 on the back of my fuel housing, pic below:9B1332_plug.jpg9B1332_plugtop.jpgfuelhousing 7b5564 1V.jpg

What I have not yet seen is the proper plug for the fuel housing 7B5564 that is on my D42T. Parts books all show that housing to be 7B3112 for my machine. The diameter of the hole on the housing on the machine is 7/8" diameter but the plug 9B1332 measures appx. 1-1/4". I found one thread referencing 7B5564 on a post by gemdozer who was selling 2a5700 pump body. Another posts lists the 2A5700 under a D25J post.

Pulling the governor and fuel housing off the machine, it is obvious here has been work in there-maybe a substitute filter housing has been installed. Still need to confirm the fuel filter tower and governor match my machine or if all parts have been replaced. Current fuel system appears to run the machine fine-

Couple of questions:
    1. Is the fuel housing 7B5564 (1V) appropriate for the machine?
    2. Is the fuel housing 7B5564 (1V) match up with gaskets, etc. at shown in the parts books for the 7b3112?
    3. I read a post that referenced in passing one fuel housing that did not require the 9B1332 Plug. That may have been for a 7U. Is there another plug assembly for this chamber plug for the fuel housing 7B5564?
    4. I've cleaned off the housing and do not see 7B3112 anywhere on it as listed in parts book. Am I missing that part number on my housing somewhere?

UPDATE Currently on machine:
    Fuel Filter Tower Part #8B1797
    Governor Housing: #1F6997
    Governor Hsg. Cover: #8B178
    Thanks-
    Bernie
    Last edited by bernie; 02-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Default Casting Part Number

Hi Bernie,
    the Housing P/No you show is the Part Number for the raw casting that Cat then machines and afterwards adds things like :- dowels, bearings, plugs, studs and such to make a Housing Assembly which will be the P/No that your have listed in your relevant Parts Book.

The only time a casting P/No will match an actual Part Number is when there are no extra added parts--ie, a machined only raw casting.

From memory all the Injection pumps I did for the range of machines you mention had the 7B1332 type plug that fits into the drilling for the Fuel Gallery in the Injection Pump body's Governor mounting end face.

From memory the drilling is around the 7/8" dia. and the plug is a stepped plug with a flange that would be around the outer diameter dimension you give. The plug flange should fit into a counter bore in the Governor mounting end face of the Housing. The flange holds the O Ring seal in the counter bore--when fitted the plug flange should be just below or level with the end face of the Housing and be holding the O Ring captive so as to seal effectively and not blow out.

The opposite end of the Injection Pump fuel gallery drilling, that mates to the fuel filter tower, may have a smaller diameter counter bore or simply be the diameter of the fuel gallery drilling to accept the hollow Ferrule in the Fuel Filter tower--it will also have the tapered spot face for the fuel gallery seal to fit into.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.

OK-it does make sense. As much as I have read here on casting numbers vs part numbers, I did not think that through well. I am convinced that the housing I have on the machine does not correspond to my D42T Parts Book. I posted on another thread while researching and D2Gary replied and got me almost there. I think my housing is that which falls after the 7U number where the fuel chamber through the housing does not have the plug on the back side of the housing.

Below are what I have after doing some cleaning I found what may be a housing number. Also, a better photo of my housing with the governor side (rear) fuel chamber port that my parts book shows having a plug. I have a plug 9B1332 and the diameter is too big to fit in the housing hole:

fuelhousing fuelchamber.jpgfuelhousing 25P535.jpg9B1332_plug.jpg fuelhousing rear.jpg

The housing rear face is certainly different than the one I show from a d47U post above. I do not what to reinstall everything without installing the "O Rings" where recommended.

I'm having fun....so far.

Thanks! Bernie
    Last edited by bernie; 02-23-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Default Injection Pump Serial Number

Hi Bernie,
    if i recall correctly the 25P number would be the Serial Number of the injection pump.

The number usually appears on the same page as the parts picture in the relevant machine or engine Parts Book.

My 7J-2T1--2T9999 Parts Book shows 19P1 and up and 22P1 and up--if these S/Nos blocks were used up then another block would be issued for further later production machines.

There seems to be a mix of P numbers across several sized machines and their similar Industrial engines that I have Parts Books for here, so 25P may not be out of place for your application or perhaps it was fitted from say a Marine or Industrial engine application engine in later years to keep it going in the field--differences could be camshaft P/No, the individual injection pumps, fitted to the main housing and so on.

Also from memory this and other details were on a plate riveted to the injection pump side cover or to the pump housing itself.
    I stand to be corrected, been too long since i looked at this when still at The Dealer some 18 + years ago when overhauling the Injection pump and governor for the Ruwolt built D7, S/No CR1 WW11 era built for the Australian Forces here in Melbourne Australia--there are several posts and literature on this machine in the past on here.

I feel these numbers would have been used in the first generations of Cat Diesel engines so the factory could keep record of what was what with any updates/change levels made in production--again speculation on my part.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Eddie-
    Nice tractor photo-I think that was pretty close to mine at some point.

My housing is not the same S/N that appears on my parts book. That is what has been bugging me. If anyone has the appropriate scan from a parts book illustrating that housing I show, that would be helpful.

I am putting it back together with just the Oring on the fuel tower ferrule and nowhere else on the fuel chamber-my housing must have been upgraded at some point. It was at Granite City, IL in 1952 in the repair shop, maybe then.....

Appreciate the assistance as always-enjoy your day!

Bernie

Default Injection Pump Serial Number Match

Hi Bernie,
    I have looked thru most of my same era machine/engine parts books for the same series engine and not matched the Inj Pump S/numbers.

It could be someone used that housing to do a repair in the past but used D4 correct parts inside.

Hope someone can match it and ease our troubled minds.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Squatch is going through the pump on his D2.

https://youtu.be/A5iXLUsXmgc

You know, I would watch Squatch’s vids even if I’d never involved my self in my 2T in 2006. They are just plain interesting. Anyway that doesn’t appear to be the same rear housing face at governor as mine. The plug want fit. Looking for the parts diagram of the later 7U.

There is no outline that matches 9B1332 plug. The rear of the chamber Is solid. Still not sure why the hole at end of chamber from the governor side is threaded. I tapped from the inside to detect movement as squatch did with the brass pin. I’m just not seeing Oring location.

Appreciate the help-
    Bernie

It’s possible the rough casting you have experienced a core void resulting in the blockage I think you are describing. No matter, if it doesn’t leak you’re good to go. But just a warning, I’ve drilled out some pretty hard sediment from the blind end of a more modern pump housing

I would run a drill bit in there and brush with a wire brush to make sure there isn’t anything looose that might get in the pumps
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Default No Rear Fuel Gallery Plug

Hi Bernie,
    somewhere floating around in the grey matter is a recollection of past queries on no rear plug--I did a quick Search but maybe did not go back far enough.
    Thinking on it some I feel I have noted this in a few older pumps i have overhauled too.

As said above, if the end face casting machined surface is solid with no apparent porosity then you should be good to go.
    The odd Inj. Pump Serial Number may be a special application housing for use with a Woodward Governor or such that requires a clear rear face--I stand to be corrected.

Maybe stand the housing on end with the blank end of the gallery downwards, pour in a small amount of fuel and pressurize the fuel gallery with 30 psi air to see if that area is not porous.

Also you could easily gauge the depth of the gallery versus the length of the pump housing to gauge the end of gallery bore metal thickness. A good light may show that the end of gallery has a machined face versus a cast appearance.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.