Thread: D2 5U Water/Fuel Filter

Default D2 5U Water/Fuel Filter

I have finished the installation of a Fuel\ Water filter on my D25U with a winch.
    Here are a few pictures...…...

Some are with the tool tray under seat installed...…...……….
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm looking to do the same on my 4U. My valve comes off of the front of the tank unlike yours that comes from the bottom of the tank, so I don't have a lot of room under the seat for the filter. I'm trying to decide whether to use my original valve, which has a leak at the stem or replacing it with one like this one from West Marine - https://www.westmarine.com/buy/groco...22?recordNum=7. I could probably tighten the packing nut on the original, but don't want to have to pull it off again if it still leaks. Thanks for the photos.

Default valve

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Yellow1 View Post
    I'm looking to do the same on my 4U. My valve comes off of the front of the tank unlike yours that comes from the bottom of the tank, so I don't have a lot of room under the seat for the filter. I'm trying to decide whether to use my original valve, which has a leak at the stem or replacing it with one like this one from West Marine - https://www.westmarine.com/buy/groco...22?recordNum=7. I could probably tighten the packing nut on the original, but don't want to have to pull it off again if it still leaks. Thanks for the photos.
    I bought the one on my tank from the hardware store....$8.00....it's been on for 10 years with no issues.
    Bill

Default Picture

I was asked about the fittings to the right of the filter head in the overhead picture. That is a union fitting that is easily broken while leaving the filter assembly intact when removing the seat tank.

Have a good day...…….Bill

Hey Bill looks great ! Just what I need to do. Can you give info on what filter “system” you used. And are you using a braided hose from the filter fittings forward?

Thanks again

Paul

Default Filter

Paul,
    I used a Wix 24309 Filter Base with a Wix 33123 Screw o Fuel Water Separator type filter. I took the water drain off and put a 1/4" plug in for more clearance. I think the next filter I will just shorten the valve a little and it should work.
    Picture shows the old filter. All the black junk would have went through transfer pump before being caught in sock filter.

I used steel braided fuel line lined with PTFE/Teflon as per manufacturer recommendations for diesel fuel. I opted to keep original nut and ferrule o transfer pump end with a short piece of copper flared to accept standard brass fitting attached to an AN fitting for the braided fuel line. It takes a little time to lay out and order fittings and line but like anything else it's all a matter of what you want. I have had it on ten years with zero issues. All the fittings and braided line are available through companies like Earl's, Russell, Jegs, Summit Racing, Ebay and some parts stores.

Hope this helps...………..Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wix-24309/2...IAAOSwt05Zuxdo
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found the Wix base at Rockauto.com for 36.79.

Thanks Bill, I appreciate it!

Paul