Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R5 runs but stalls

Becky There is Instructions

Not digging up the Instructions but I believe it states that if you take the carb and turn it upside down, the float level is 3/4" when measured. Can't remember where the measurement is taken (too early in the morning)
    BUT if you are going to do it the Shop way, then you need to have an adapter that attaches to the Carb Bowel and runs a clear tube up the side to visually see where the level is when mounted on the Manifold.
    If no one chimes in soon, then I'll look it up later today.
    Actually the Instructions should be posted here somewhere as a CAT 22 runs a K5 also.

So 618 sounds correct - thanks

Any chance the exhaust is plugged?

Well I got it running pretty solid now. I had to increase the high speed adjustment quite a bit to get rich enough to avoid the stalling issue. It's running fairly even now without stall and starts without hesitation. Having trouble with the float needle sticking and starving the carb every now and then - I have to pull the bowl and manually pull the needle down sometimes. Seems like needle just barely jams up in orifice - I just tap it and it drops. Not all the time but every now and then.

Regarding the float adjustment I'll avoid that for now given I got it running decent. The correct manual technique with a tube described sounds a little tricky - the 3/4 inch approach sounds a little more doable. I'll keep it mind.

Exhaust seems clear however my manifold and heater box definitely have some leaks. Soot and exhaust fumes coming from different areas - another job to look forward to. Hopefully just new gaskets needed and not too many cracks.

Just glad to have her running consistently.

Oil pressure question - I'm getting about the 20 to 25 psi on oil pressure. I would say that is pretty good but what is spec for an R5?

This beast can slurp some gas for sure.

Thanks y'all for feedback!!!

Default I Goofed

Quote Originally Posted by daron View Post
    413 CI.

5 1/2" X 6 1/2". per LaVoie's Pocket Guide (ACMOC BookStore).

Daron
    I see I divided 5.5" by 2 and got 2.5" rather than 2.75".

Correct answer is 618. Sorry.

Daron