Thread: 3306PC Coolant in Sump

Default 3306PC Coolant in Sump

Hi,

I have a 3306PC no. 66D01651 in a boat. For the first time I noticed a loss of coolant, didn't think much of it and topped it up with about 6 cups.

The next time I was on the boat I checked the coolant and again it was down so I topped it up with about a litre or 2 pints of coolant.

Today I was on the boat and the motor hadn't been run since I last topped up the coolant but again the coolant was down and the engine oil was up. I sucked some oil out of the sump and the first thing that came out of the pump was coolant.

I ran the engine for a minute to see if there were any bubbles in the coolant or in the overflow pipe to try and see if it was a head gasket (youtube) but nothing.

So, am I in trouble? Any suggestions? Engine hour meter stopped at 6,000 hours but the engine was used for harbour cruising and would have had a pretty easy life. Except for being forty years old.

I think next step will be a pressure test but any input would be appreciated. Engine has an oil and gearbox cooler.

Thanks

Ian

1. Most likely place is the water pump. clean the weep hole and see if it leaks externally. Easy fix to replace water pump.

2. Oil cooler. Probably have to remove and examine it. Easy fix to replace oil cooler.

3. Liner seals . Not so easy but fixable.

Easiest way to check is to drop front of pan and look up into crankcase while pressure testing but may not be possible on a boat engine. Good Luck.

Thanks Jake, my money is on a liner seal. You are right about the pan, probably impossible to get off with out jacking up the engine. It would be nice if it was the oil cooler.