Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Cat d4 7u smoking and popping louder now

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Columbus, ms 39701
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rome K/G View Post
    Yes there timed ok. You can move the throttle towards idle but not shutoff position and it should move back and forth. Next would be to check or replace with new injection capsules. Are the rocker arm clearances ok? Head been reconditioned?
    I only checked and replaced that #2 injector capsule. It was totally stopped up. Havent checked the others. My problem seems to be in #2 still but I didnt try to crank it today. Just way too cold. Anyway can any of that with the valves or rocker arms be checked without rotating the motor? I dont know how to rotate mine without using the starter. The pony isnt all hooked up and would take significant effort to get to run I would imagine. I did take off the valve cover but didnt touch anything today in there.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Faunsdale, AL USA
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Usually possible, even easy, to turn the engine using the fan blade if you pull the decompression lever and then use one hand to push or pull on the back/slack side of the fan belt opposite the side you’re using to pull the crankshaft pulley around. Guess some have wire guards over the fan that would prevent that.

    Also may be possible to use a pipe wrench etc on the front hydraulic pump drive shaft if it has one. Slowest way would be to use a screwdriver etc to pry the flywheel ring gear teeth working through the TDC pointer window. Two bolt cover over the pointer is usually on front of flywheel housing just to rear of the engine oil fill and below the pony motor oil drain spigot.

    A broken rocker arm or push rod will cause some strange sounds.
    The valves are usually adjusted hot to 0.010” both intake and exhaust or can be approximated by using 0.012” cold. Just don’t forget to flip the decompression lever back in before adjusting the intake valve or you will find some that seem to be really out of whack!
    Last edited by ccjersey; 01-20-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Columbus, ms 39701
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    Usually possible, even easy, to turn the engine using the fan blade if you pull the decompression lever and then use one hand to push or pull on the back/slack side of the fan belt opposite the side you’re using to pull the crankshaft pulley around. Guess some have wire guards over the fan that would prevent that.

    Also may be possible to use a pipe wrench etc on the front hydraulic pump drive shaft if it has one. Slowest way would be to use a screwdriver etc to pry the flywheel ring gear teeth working through the TDC pointer window. Two bolt cover over the pointer is usually on front of flywheel housing just to rear of the engine oil fill and below the pony motor oil drain spigot.

    A broken rocker arm or push rod will cause some strange sounds.
    The valves are usually adjusted hot to 0.010” both intake and exhaust or can be approximated by using 0.012” cold. Just don’t forget to flip the decompression lever back in before adjusting the intake valve or you will find some that seem to be really out of whack!
    Ok yea didnt think about releasing the compression and turning it. I'll try that way. It should turn by using the fan by hand. After I get to TDC, what is the sequence for checking the intake and exhaust valves? I think that exhaust valve on #2 is going to be out but I didnt see anything broke earlier today when I looked. The popping is very consistent with the puff of smoke coming out the stack so think it's that exhaust valve that is sticking. Anyway I do need to know the sequence then revolve 360 degrees and check sequence again? I've never checked or adjusted valves before.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    victoria australia
    Posts
    3,165

    Default Gear To Rack Timing Marks

    Hi Team,
    If you could not move the rack by hand then it is likely that the governor control was in either the shut off position or at full rack--to do the rack gear timing check and to easily move the rack by hand I would suggest to have the Gov control in the Low Idle position and there will only be a little Gov spring pressure against the rack.

    As usual I stand to be corrected.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Faunsdale, AL USA
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Simplest way to set valves is to stop at TDC mark on flywheel for each cylinder pair and set the valves on the cylinder that are closed. Then rotate crankshaft 180* and set the next ones. Setting is 0.010” hot or approximately 0.012” cold.
    Firing order is 1342 and engine rotates clockwise looking from radiator end of it. Timing marks are on flywheel and can be seen through a small window on the front of the flywheel housing below the engine oil fill spout and the pony motor oil drain spigot. Look for a two bolt cover there.

    Don’t forget to flip compression release back in before setting valves each time.

    Edited to correct firing order.......sorry for creating confusion but didn’t want to leave it for anyone coming along later!
    Last edited by ccjersey; 01-21-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    14,958

    Default

    Use this sequence/procedure....
    4-cyl, 1,3,4,2 firing order
    Position #1 @ TDC
    Adj Intake #1 & 2, Exh #1 & 3
    Rotate 360 deg. to #4 @ TDC
    Adj Intake #4 & 3, Exh #4 & 2

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    3,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Use this sequence/procedure....
    4-cyl, 1,3,4,2 firing order
    Position #1 @ TDC
    Adj Intake #1 & 2, Exh #1 & 3
    Rotate 360 deg. to #4 @ TDC
    Adj Intake #4 & 3, Exh #4 & 2
    Lol, I thought that was the firing order.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Moriches NY, Hancock Ma
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    are all the 4 cyl engines the same--d311, 3204,3304, etc?
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Columbus, ms 39701
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    Simplest way to set valves is to stop at TDC mark on flywheel for each cylinder pair and set the valves on the cylinder that are closed. Then rotate crankshaft 180* and set the next ones. Setting is 0.010” hot or approximately 0.012” cold.
    Firing order is 1324 and engine rotates clockwise looking from radiator end of it. Timing marks are on flywheel and can be seen through a small window on the front of the flywheel housing below the engine oil fill spout and the pony motor oil drain spigot. Look for a two bolt cover there.

    Don’t forget to flip compression release back in before setting valves each time.
    Just so I'm clear in understanding how to do this I've copied a step by step from someone posting elsewhere about a 4 cyl perkins diesel motor. The steps are as follows:

    . Turn the crankshaft clockwise (viewed from front) until the T.D.C. mark on the flywheel is positioned in the middle of the inspection hole and both of the rocker arms of the number 4 (rear) cylinder are "rocking" (exhaust valve closing and intake valve opening). Note: At this point, the number 1 cylinder is approximately at T.D.C on the compression stroke, with both valves closed.

    2. With the crankshaft positioned as outlined, loosen the locknuts on the rocker arms for the number 1 cylinder, and with a .015 feeler gauge between the valve stem and the face of the rocker arm, turn each adjusting screw until the correct clearance is obtained. Tighten locknuts and recheck clearance.

    3. Turn the engine crankshaft clockwise approximately 1/2 of a turn until the number 2 cylinder rocker arms are "rocking" and adjust the valve tappet clearances of the number 3 cylinder.

    4. Turn the crankshaft clockwise another 1/2 of a turn until the number 1 cylinder rocker arms are "rocking" and adjust the valve tappet clearances for the number 4 cylinder.

    5. Turn the crankshaft clockwise another 1/2 of a turn until the number 3 cylinder rocker arms are "rocking" and adjust the valve tappet clearances for the number 2 cylinder.

    Is everything in these steps correct for the D4?? Also are the timing Mark's easy to see in the sight window? I'm hoping to see about it this weekend. Thanks

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Columbus, ms 39701
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Use this sequence/procedure....
    4-cyl, 1,3,4,2 firing order
    Position #1 @ TDC
    Adj Intake #1 & 2, Exh #1 & 3
    Rotate 360 deg. to #4 @ TDC
    Adj Intake #4 & 3, Exh #4 & 2
    Sorry....I didnt know you had posted this Old Magnet before I had posted my last step by step question. Anyway I'll follow what you have here. Hopefully i can figure out which mark is TDC to start off right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •