Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D8 15A towing advice

Default D8 15A towing advice

Hello All
    I have a D8 15A2723 that has a badly leaking torque convertor that I would like to tow to a more accessible location. Recently I tried to use my D6 5R to tow the D8 and I could move it back and forth but I could not get it to turn. As the engine cannot be started the steering clutches cannot be released. Is there another way to release the steering clutches for towing? I could not find anything in the operators manual nor the service manual.
    This thread mentions towing a D8 with a D6 5R without any issues but they don't mention turning the D8.

Regards

Phil
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 955K Tracked Loader, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator

That is gonna be a rough one it took 3 200hp+ tractors 2 of them were 4wd to get my d7 44k+- lbs on a detach on level ground. We broke 1 large log chain in the process. We pulled inline and close as possible but still be able to split trailer. With hydra boosted clutch packs they didnt really release but if rolling you could pop a breake and get a very small jerk turn adjustment good luck it will not be fun but if you have enough equipment im sure you will manage.... a larger track hoe would probably be a large help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is 15A a full hydraulic steering or just a hydraulic booster like 9u D6? The booster in the 9u can be over come with more muscle. I would think backing steering clutch adjustment off would allow it to turn when being towed,along with some brake.

You would want to TIGHTEN the steering clutch adjustment to release the clutch pack

If unable to get it to trail the towing machine you may have to resort to unhooking and going back to nudge the D8 around from the side to get it on the desired line of travel before rehitching and towing again.

The “slide bar” D8 mentioned in the thread you linked to would have had manual steering clutches, so no issue with disengaging the steering clutches with the engine stopped.
    Last edited by ccjersey; 01-22-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

As Ray54 stated the steering clutches are boosted, not fully hydraulic.

The easiest way I have found to tow a D8 is to tie the steering clutches back as far as you can possibly pull them. If you tie a loop one end of the rope and loop back thru it you can get a good torque on it to get the clutch released. With the loop it is then easy to hold to tie it off. You can still the some braking to turn as needed.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

It is only necessary to release one steering clutch.

Thank you to all. I am pretty sure we tried to pull the steering levers back but I don't remember if they would not budge or if they had no effect. I thought looking at the manual that it was full hydraulic. I will try again and if I can't move the lever then we may have another problem If the lever won't move I will do what ccjersey suggested.
    I tried shunting it side ways with the D6 blade to D8 blade and it would not move in the tracks enough to be of any use. It would sort of twist in the tracks and when released it would go back to it's original position.

Regards

Phil
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 955K Tracked Loader, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator

Use a chain on D6 blade to lift while your pushing sideways, I know it won’t lift it but it will definitely help it from digging in so much

towing backwards has always been easier for me with one steering clutch released, turns a lot easier too. This works on manual and boosted steering but I don't know what type a 15A has if it is fully hydraulic or not.