Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K! Attempt no 2 I am looking at buying a different 12 to try get my work done?

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Pushin daisies.
    Basically, a Cat 12 frame with a 4-cylinder engine instead of a 6-banger.

This post may help a little:

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...s-Pre-G-series

Just my 0.02.
    Thanks I will certainly give it a read. Unfortunately this 112 is in a bit rough shape. The gear bar to move the carriage to the side is worn to hell even some broken kogs. it's also missing a few original parts that were poorly re-manufactured. Best case is if it was another 12 so it's all the same as the one I have. But beggars can't be choosers. If it's mostly the same I can make something work as long as the main runs and the transmission and clutch are decent. All I know for a fact right now is the pony was running last summer. -30 C here last night but we got some nicer weather coming. Maybe i'll drive out there to see if I can get it running. Then I guess if I get this 112 I'll have to strip and sell off the still good engine parts off the 12 before they get wrecked by time also.

I re-read your thread and I misunderstood your objective and the fact that you hadnít purchased. Sorry about that. I thought you bought another one. Typically in my experience big toys/tools can be painful and or joyful. I guess depends on how bad you need a driveway. Peanut butter really cheap lol.

How far away is the grader? Hopefully not too far. Since the engines are different it would be a good idea to see if the grader you currently have is sufficient as a parts machine or not. Can you find an engine for your current 12? Have you tried the acmoc chapter in Saskatchewan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzel View Post
    How far away is the grader? Hopefully not too far. Since the engines are different it would be a good idea to see if the grader you currently have is sufficient as a parts machine or not. Can you find an engine for your current 12? Have you tried the acmoc chapter in Saskatchewan?
    Chapter 27. Mog5858 is the Chapter President. Send him a private message by clicking Private Messages in the black heading below Forums at the top of this page. They are a good bunch up there. He does not get on here everyday but he will be along soon.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzel View Post
    It was a 5 hour drive with the grader. I went there yesterday morning and got it running. Everything worked. However I'll have to do some work to the control box. The control to rotate the blade is in bad shape Kicking out and stripping the gears pretty bad. There may be adjustments but if this machine was run like this for any length of time I'll guess there are badly worn gears in it. Also gotta do some work to the steering. I got a That optional power steering unit on the 12. I assume I'll be able to put it on this one without too much difficulty.Anyway I purchased it and drove it home. Got it to my son's acreage about dark and used it to plow his road wide open and plow a parking space. 5 hours on the road with that unit and i feel like i did pushups all day yesterday. Last time I remember being this sore I was in my 20s running a goon spoon on a 2 jaw crushers 1 cone 1 screen and 3 surge bin unit, making gravel during rain in Yellowknife, Northwest territories. With only one laborer per crusher unit, those were 12 hour shifts of steady shoveling under the belts with no breaks of any kind.

Default Adjustments.

Hi, Pushin daisies
    Congratulations.

Steering those old girls can be made a LOTTTT easier when you learn to use the lean wheel feature on the steering. You can actually get them around a LOTTTA bends even at road speeds using just the lean wheels.

You can find a fair bit of information about most of the adjustments at the link which I sent you in a previous post.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Pushin daisies
    Congratulations.

Steering those old girls can be made a LOTTTT easier when you learn to use the lean wheel feature on the steering. You can actually get them around a LOTTTA bends even at road speeds using just the lean wheels.

You can find a fair bit of information about most of the adjustments at the link which I sent you in a previous post.

Just my 0.02.
    I figured out the lean wheel to steer damn fast. It was still that hard. Bigger grids with nicer crowns weren't bad but the small ones towards the end and especially close quarters in the yard were damn hard even with wheel lean. It seemed to get harder as the trip went on. However, I don't know if that was me wearing down or the effect of the dropping temperatures on the grease. it was near impossible by the end. getting that hydro boost steering installed will be a priority.

I pulled out my parts manual to go through as I read the links you sent. Also gonna see if I can get ahold of a shop manual for it. Lol. unfortunately me and the cold don't get along well anymore so I should have some time to study up before spring. Hoping it all goes well. Be nice for a change.

Power steering assist unit from 12 will fit on a 212. The gear cogs in the control box are not usually the reason for kicking. You need to adjust the circle turn screws and oil up, grease the circle shoes. If the lift levers are kicking you, the big bull gears on the front of the cab need turned 30 degrees to find a new wear pattern/area. You should be able to jamb the levers in and hold them to raise the front wheels off the ground..Good luck..
    Cat 12 grader, 8T6995 running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438