acmoc

ACMOC Membership Benefits

  • FREE quarterly magazine filled with content about antique Caterpillar machines
  • FREE classified listings
  • ACMOC store discounts and specials
  • Full Bulletin Board Access
    • Marketplace (For Sale/Wanted)
    • Technical Library
    • Post attachments

$44 /year ELECTRONIC

$60 /year USA

$77 /year International

Total Restoration of a 15 Motor Patrol

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #227951 by side-seat
Next project is the trunnion shaft.  Earlier on I had trouble just removing the track frames from the transmission because the castings are all frozen due to the grader attachment and the track frames not oscillating  much,  and sitting for so many years.   First step try to heat it up some to get some Kroil penentrating. Also tried pumping grease into the fittings without much luck.


Fire

After heating a few evenings and letting it set , I tried using a screw type push puller with no luck.


 
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by side-seat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fat Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #227955 by neil
Hi SS, I used one of those OTC 17t screw-type pullers on my D2 steering hubs with no luck. I then tried an hydraulic puller which popped the hub off at about 12t (I was watching the gauge) so at least in my experience, the screw-type puller may not be giving you the pressure that you'd expect. The other thing I thought about was using some kind of "jackhammer" approach on the theory that I just had to get some movement, no matter how little, and it would rapidly magnify with the to-and-fro. I'd be inclined to clean out the Kroil as best you can and drop the shaft into a bath of warm/hot water for a couple of days, and then try to pull the castings. Water seems to work better on rust than oil does

Cheers,
Neil

Pittsford, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fat Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #227967 by side-seat
Next try was the 17 1/2 ton ram. 

BAM!    I hate using the rod on these OTC pullers. Broke a few and now these adaptors to convert 1" B7 all thread to 5/8" . These broke because there isn't enough wall thickness to carry the tonnage.   I don't have a bigger bearing splitter yet that has the 1" hole in it.

 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #227968 by side-seat
Next try. Get the 30ton ram out and get a big "C" plate. I drilled some 1" holes in it so I can use 4 pcs of all thread.  Tried two first but I could'nt keep the whole puller assembly straight.
Added two more threaded rod and things stared to move slowly with some heat then assisted with a 20# sledgehammer.

No less than around 20hrs of fooling around to remove these two parts.   I was going to go up to the 50Ton ram or just take it to my sons shop and put it in his 200ton wheel press.
So far this had to be the hardest part of this restoration so far.
 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fat Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #227969 by Fat Dan

Test reply


Test response LOL

ACMOC Member
955E 12A08263; 955C 12A04040; 955C 12A03563.
1954 No.12 Diesel Motor Grader 8T14777.
1945 No.12 Diesel Motor Grader 9K9320
1944-46 Adams Model No. 311 Motor Grader
1943 IH T9 Bullgrader

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #235278 by side-seat
refreshing post been a while since I put anything about this Got a bunch of progress over last summer more to come

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #235279 by Busso20
SS I have just read thru the whole time line, a massive effort you have put into this one, congratulations for such a good job so far, I like the handy work on the tooling look very strong and finished well, keep up the great work, I like the shed renovation as well

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #235412 by side-seat
Going back a few months here are some pictures of disassembling the track frames. Grandson is getting a good lesson in working on this old junk.

 
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by side-seat. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busso20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #235860 by side-seat
I'm way behind posting the progress.  Got a pile of stuff to the sandblaster last summer and back to primer up and start some reassembly.

 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fat Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #235861 by side-seat
I used red insulating varnish on the insides of the castings.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Go to top